Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2010 03:00

Audio Problem on Mini 1011 Laptop

Hi

I was hoping somebody out there can help me. My Mini has been invaded by The Chipmunks!

The audio (peoples voices, musical songs, etc) on my Inspiron Mini 1011 has changed suddenly to all voices sounding like chipmunks. I have the latest Realtek HD Audio driver, no conflicts or yellow exclamation marks in the device driver section, or anywhere else for that matter. Just happened last week and I cannot fix this.

I would appreciate any help with this problem. It is very annoying and my productivity is way down. HELP PLEASE!

Thank you.  :emotion-42:

Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz

Windows XP Service Pak 3

Bios A00

1 GB Ram

McAfee Security Center

Mozilla Firefox 3.6.8

Satellite Internet Connection

All Windows, Driver, etc. Updates

7 Posts

August 12th, 2010 18:00

Hi again

I was very surprised that no one had any suggestions or solutions for this problem. Every other time I had a problem with my machines, I posted and the problem was fixed within days.

I fixed the problem, so if anybody else has something like this happen, this might work.

I plugged in and unplugged a cheap pair of mini speakers and the audio played back the way it's supposed to...no more Chipmunks!

:emotion-2:

August 13th, 2010 11:00

there was some dust in your minijack plug

i got same problem

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 14th, 2010 07:00

pierredemarque,

How did you know there was dust in the jack? I can't figure how would dust cause the audio to sound like chipmunks. So after you cleaned the jack it stopped sounding like chipmunks?

***************************************************************************************************

chico00,

Were the speakers you used usb ones? If so they contain their own audio system which substitutes for the Realtec's, so if you try to use the Realtec audio again the problem should reappear. If it does try running the audio tests in Dell Diagnostics to determine whether it is a hardware or software problem. To run Dell Diagnostics

1. Restart the computer and tap the f12 key as soon as it starts to boot up .
2. Select 'Diagnostic' from the boot menu. The computer will run its pre-boot assessment tests (PSA) before Dell Diagnostics starts. During the PSA you will hear some tones through the system speaker but this does not adequately test the audio hardware. Dell Diagnostics plays an instrumental piece of music complete with drums, so if you only hear some tones then you have only run the PSA.
3. Dell Diagnostics should open after the PSA tests, or you should see an option to open it. If you have ever reformatted your entire hard drive then Dell Diagnostics will no longer be there as an option. In that case run it from the Drivers and Utilities (Resource) CD if you have one.
4. Select 'Custom', then the audio tests. (At this point - after you have opened Dell Diagnostic custom - if you can't find the option to select the audio tests that is a symptom of a failed audio chip.)
5. The tests will play some audio and ask you whether you heard it. You just should listen to whether or not it sounds like chipmunks during the tests. If not then there is a software problem which might be resolved by reinstalling the Realtec driver.

Sorry for not answering sooner but have been busy.

7 Posts

August 14th, 2010 18:00

Thanks for the info, Jim.

I just use the internal speakers. I wanted to see if the sound was any better with the cheapo jack - in - the - headphone -hole speakers. Turned out it was not, but it fixed the problem.

I will keep your answer for future use in case this happens again. Much appreciated.

October 25th, 2010 20:00

pierredemarque,

How did you know there was dust in the jack? I can't figure how would dust cause the audio to sound like chipmunks. So after you cleaned the jack it stopped sounding like chipmunks?

***************************************************************************************************

chico00,

Were the speakers you used usb ones? If so they contain their own audio system which substitutes for the Realtec's, so if you try to use the Realtec audio again the problem should reappear. If it does try running the audio tests in Dell Diagnostics to determine whether it is a hardware or software problem. To run Dell Diagnostics

1. Restart the computer and tap the f12 key as soon as it starts to boot up .
2. Select 'Diagnostic' from the boot menu. The computer will run its pre-boot assessment tests (PSA) before Dell Diagnostics starts. During the PSA you will hear some tones through the system speaker but this does not adequately test the audio hardware. Dell Diagnostics plays an instrumental piece of music complete with drums, so if you only hear some tones then you have only run the PSA.
3. Dell Diagnostics should open after the PSA tests, or you should see an option to open it. If you have ever reformatted your entire hard drive then Dell Diagnostics will no longer be there as an option. In that case run it from the Drivers and Utilities (Resource) CD if you have one.
4. Select 'Custom', then the audio tests. (At this point - after you have opened Dell Diagnostic custom - if you can't find the option to select the audio tests that is a symptom of a failed audio chip.)
5. The tests will play some audio and ask you whether you heard it. You just should listen to whether or not it sounds like chipmunks during the tests. If not then there is a software problem which might be resolved by reinstalling the Realtec driver.

Sorry for not answering sooner but have been busy.

It is just the solution for my problem, Thanks for your effort!
No Events found!