Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

August 25th, 2008 21:00

BIOS A13 on 1525

I assumed if I upgraded from A11 to A13 on my 1525, that it would perform faster.  Now, with A13, it takes forever for my computer to boot up.  I had went to upgrade drivers and installed this without any knowledge of computer inside workings.   Is there any way possible that I can revert back to A11 by resetting my computer to a prior date?  If so, can you tell me how?  If not, can you tell me what I should do?  Here are my computer gadgets:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000
Other OS Description  Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Model Inspiron 1525
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T5550  @ 1.83GHz, 1833 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A13, 6/27/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.16407"
Total Physical Memory 3,061.43 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.84 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.16 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.97 GB
Page File Space 3.28 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I do know if the above attached info is relevant, however,  any help is appreciated.  My computer was born May 2008 and I probably shouldn't have updated the BIOS I dont guess but everyone says when drivers are recommended in updates, install them.   There are others that are recommended, however I have not installed them.  

One more question, on the Device Manager, it says update software on each particular item.  Should I click this for each or should I just leave it alone, particularly the disk drives, display adapters, and the cd/dvd drives.

I have Inspiron 1525 Vista as well as Inspiron E1405 and the E1405 is waaaay faster than my 1525.  I have done all the side bits one does to make Vista faster and this helped; however, lately, it is slow in changing from page to page.  Would the change in the BIOS have caused this?

Thanks for any help offered.

Friedbeans

Message Edited by friedbeans on 08-25-2008 05:29 PM

August 26th, 2008 23:00

Hi, Updating the bios should not affect the system performance. its done just to refresh the hardware in the computer and it will have fixes for some h/w issues.

System cant slow down coz of bios update.

And you cannot downgrade it to A11

I suspect the memory for the slow performance

If its slow at the start up then its the start up items.

Disable the start up except the Antivirus and check.

IT should be fixed.

193 Posts

August 27th, 2008 09:00

And you cannot downgrade it to A11

Just download the A11 BIOS and downgrade. It works, but I wouldn't recommend it. As already said: It's most likely NOT the BIOS. However Vista is kind of smart: It rearanges certain automatically loaded modules in such a way to optimized booting time.

After a BIOS upgrade the I/O addresses and representation of hardware to Windows might have changed. This might trigger all kinds of automatic driver reinstallations and rearangement. Just give Vista some time and it should boot as fast as before.

But in your particular case: I recommend installing Service Pack 1. You don't seem to have gotten that yet. The fact that you don't get it by Windows Update also assumes that you have some old drivers installed (fingerprint and maybe SigmaTel audio were known to block SP1).

August 27th, 2008 17:00

Thanks for that info 7oby, i just found out in DELL support site that you can also get the previous versions of bios.
No Events found!