Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

H

3 Posts

August 10th, 2008 19:00

BIOS Issue for Inspiron 5100

INFORMATION: Dell Inspiron 5100 with Win XP

PROBLEM: Black screen when I turn it on. BIOS screen doesn't come up. I downgraded from BIOS version A32 to A28 using .exe BIOS file because it was heating up all the time, so I used cool pad temporarily. Power light is on and fan is running.

TROUBLESHOOTING DONE:

It tried to reboot and now just a black screen. Power is ON but black screen. I tried to reboot several times using Esc, F1-F12, Del. I tried to move memory to different slot. Tried to remove battery and just run from AC power. I tried to boot using bootable BIOS disc (I5100A32.iso) through CD/DVD player. BIOS screen or Dell logo doesn't come up. I know there is no hardware issue. I tried to remove battery and AC power and then removed built-in button battery (blue) from motherboard for few hours and hold power button for 1 minute. Is it possible to fix it without replacing the motherboard? How do I find BIOS chip and reset it?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=wml2kk&s=4

Message Edited by hash_uic on 08-10-2008 03:59 PM

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 10th, 2008 20:00

The BIOS chip is not replaceable - it's hard soldered to the board.  Did the BIOS flash complete, or did it hang?

Is there an image on an external display?

3 Posts

August 10th, 2008 20:00

It looked like it updated and pc restarted and never came back up. No image on external monitor.

Can you help me find BIOS chip? I can solder it.

No Events found!