Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2012 21:00

Battery not charging!!

I have had a Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 since late august now. Not long ago an error message appeared saying my charger wasn't working. I knew that my battery was messed up. I went to a best buy and I was told that I had to buy a $80 universal charger. I knew right away this was false so I left. Is there anyway I can get a replacement battery off the warranty or some other way?

1.1K Posts

November 29th, 2012 21:00

Hi Pewterlegend,

Please check if the charging port on the laptop is loose. Connect an alternate ac adapter to see if that works fine with the system. Do you see light on AC Adapter? If yes, please follow the below steps:

Please check the status of the AC Adapter in BIOS:

• Restart the system and keep tapping 'F2' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Under 'Main', check the status of AC Adapter.

Also, boot the system into windows and place the cursor on the battery icon on the right bottom corner of the system and it will show either of the messages:

• Plugged in, charging.
  • Plugged in, not charging.

If you are getting 'Plugged in, not charging' message, check the battery health meter:

• Click on Windows logo on desktop.
  • Type 'Power options' in search bar above that.
  • Click on Power Options.
  • Check for the 'Battery Health Meter' among the different options on the left side of window.
  • Go to 'Battery Health' tab to check the battery health.

In case you do not find this option, install Quickset application on your system:

• Click on the link: http://dell.to/Pnn20A
  • Click on 'Download Now'.
  • Select 'Single-file Download' and click on 'Continue'.
  • Click on 'Save' and save it to desktop.
  • Right click on it and select 'Run as administrator'.
  • Follow the on screen instructions to install the application.
  • Restart your system and check the battery health meter.

A BIOS update may also fix this issue:

Please find the link for BIOS update: http://dell.to/QNQvin

Note: The ac adapter should be connected and the battery should be at least 10% charged. Please disconnect all the external devices connected to the system before updating the BIOS. Please save all the unsaved data as your system will restart automatically while updating the BIOS.

• Click on the above link.
  • Click on 'Download Now'.
  • Select "Single-file Download" and click on "Continue".
  • Click on "Run" and follow the on screen instructions.

Keep me updated. Please reply for any further questions.

December 8th, 2012 05:00

I realized that the battery was dead and kept the charger in whenever using my laptop. This was ok for 1 week I went to a best buy to get it looked at and they were of no help. Now when the battery is in and the charger is in the laptop never turns on

1.1K Posts

December 10th, 2012 03:00

Hi Pewterlegend,

Please check and let me know the power light status when you try to tur on the system. I will recommend you to drain the flea power and see if that makes a difference:

• Disconnect all the external peripherals.
  • Unplug AC Adapter and also take off the battery.
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 to 15 seconds.
  • Connect the AC Adapter back and check if the system is working fine.

Keep me updated. Please reply with the findings.

March 31st, 2013 14:00

I'M HAVING A SIMILAR ISSUE BUT WHEN I GO INTO BIOS THE AC ADAPTER TYPE IS ...AND WHEN I START THE COMPUTER A DIALOG BOX POPS UP NAMED QUICKSET AND IT STATES "THE AC POWER ADAPTER TYPE CANNOT BE DETERMINED. YOUR SYSTEM WILL OPERATE SLOWER AND THE BATTERY WILL NOT CHARGE. THIS PROBLEM MIGHT BE SOLVED BY: -ENSURE THE PLUG IS INSERTED COMPLETELY  BEST SYSTEM OPERATION OR CONNECT A DELL 65W AC ADAPTER OR HIGHER....NOW WITH THAT BEING SAID I HAVE THE FACTORY CHARGER THAT CAME WITH THE LAPTOP:-..ONE MORE THING SINCE MY BATTERY ISN'T CHARGING, I CANT UPDATE THE BIOS...

No Events found!