Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

December 12th, 2012 00:00

Cannot boot Windows 7 install DVD in UEFI mode (Inspiron 15R - 5520)

I received my Dell Inspiron 15R - 5520 laptop and am attempting to set it up to perform a UEFI boot to a Windows 7 (64 bit) installation.  I am using bios version A11 which is the latest available.

I used EASEUS Partition Master in my hdd, because I don't want all the 1TB for Windows, but after that, windows 8 won't boot anymore, I used all the Windows 8 Repair Options with no luck, so I don't have any OS right now, where I can get the Windows 8 OEM Dell, or recovery image?

I wanted to install Windows 7 but I don't know anything of UEFI or Legacy Boot, I have my Windows Ultimate DVD.

Please I'll appreciate any help, I'm desperate, because I tried to install Windows 7 with USB/DVD and still have the same problem, just ignore the install boot.

December 12th, 2012 03:00

I did exactly the same on my brand-new 15R. Propellorheads like us think we know more than we actually do... :-)

I also used Easeus to partition my 500GB drive and got an immediate blue screen saying that a critical file was missing. No sort of tweaking would fix it - no repair option worked. (Easeus, by the way, has been brilliant on the dozens of times I've previously used it - it just doesn't appear to handle UEFI).

I fixed it essentially by (apparently) losing UEFI and/or using legacy mode. I already had Macrium Reflect on my old laptop and had created a Macrium boot CD. I loaded the CD, booted, and Reflect told me that I had a corrupt BIOS and offered to rebuild it for me. Thank you very much. I took up the offer and after a few seconds was able to reboot straight back into my new Windows 8 OS.

Macrium Reflect has a free version, unlimited, for home use. http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

It's really an imaging software, and I've saved myself many hours of reinstallations after over-enthusiastic tweaking by simply restoring the last OS image. Thoroughly recommended for more than just fixing BIOS problems. And I have no shares in the company. :-)

It may not be exactly what you want, but at least you'll have a working laptop. Me, I'm leaving it strictly alone from now on.

Good luck...

December 12th, 2012 04:00

See this article for more info, especially the sections on BCD:

kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50011.aspx

Although it doesn't specifically mention Windows 7/8, the Vista references look like what I did to recover. Since I did it only once I'm afraid I can't remember the exact details.

2 Posts

December 12th, 2012 12:00

Thank you very much for the answer, I'm gonna try those instructions, I really want to use my laptop now.. hope the best!

No Events found!