Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2011 05:00

DELL Inspiron N5110 - VGA port not working properly

Hi all!

I got a new dell Inspiron N5110 a month ago and wanted to connect it to an external monitor now.

Although using different cables and trying different monitors no signal can be sent to the external device.

The notebook recognizes the monitor  - the resolution of the monitor is displayed in the windows menu - but there is no picture on the external screen, but "no signal" is reported. Unplugging leads to "check video cable"

i also tried the hdmi port which is actually working (though this is no help to me as my monitor does not have a hdmi port)

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem.

Btw - the notebook has an itnegrated Intel HD graphics Family  and a nvidia gforce 525m, both being activated. Deavtivating the gforce does not solve the problem, nor does reinstalling the drivers or updating them :(

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

September 25th, 2011 16:00

If you have not already tried, I suggest downloading the newest Nvidia driver. It may be found from the following link

When upgrading video drivers please be sure to completely remove the original driver first before installing the downloaded driver. Look for Nvidia in "Programs and Features" and uninstall it.  Once it has been completely removed then power down the notebook.  Start the system tapping F8 and select "enable Low Resolution mode".  Then install the downloaded driver.  Once the install is complete see if you are able to get an image on the external monitor.  

If you still are having problems, test with another external monitor and if possible try other video cables.  See if the problem follows the notebook, the external monitor or the video cables.  

One thing to note is Windows Mobility Center, start it in control panel, and it should have help with external monitors, you can also try toggling between the integrated screen and the external monitor by pressing FN and F8 together.

TB

September 26th, 2011 02:00

Hi!

Thanks for the answer....unfortunately i've already done all this - without success :(

Seems to be a hardware problem then, doesn't it?

all best

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

September 26th, 2011 09:00

If you noticed that no monitors work on this notebook, and that you have verified that they work fine with other systems, and that the video cables are known good.  That Windows Mobility Center and hitting FN and F8 doesn't help, you can't get an image on an external monitor then yes, you will need to have the system board / video adapter replaced. If you would like for me to research service options feel free to send me a private message.  Please include your name, your location, service tag of the notebook, shipping and email address and phone number in the private message.

TB

September 27th, 2011 10:00

I fornatted my hard disc and set the whole system up new. Now it's working - don't know why  but it's working.

Thansk for your help anyways!!!

All best

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

September 27th, 2011 17:00

Thanks for the update,  I am happy that you was able to resolve the issue.  

July 6th, 2012 06:00

What could be another option besides format.  I have a boss that his laptop is doing the same.  I have tried all option possible to fix.  Other cables, Monitors Projectors, drivers?  Any thoughts??

No Events found!