Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

March 6th, 2013 18:00

Dell 1545 Not Charging, Don't know what to do at this point

I have a Dell 1545. I have replaced the power cord, the battery, and just got done installing a new power board. I still get the message "Plugged in, not charging." I do not know what to do at this point. I have replaced everything on this dang thing. Is there something else? Thanks

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If it's an OEM Dell power supply and you've already tried the power board, replace the mainboard.

3 Posts

Just looked at battery information. I am getting Battery Health: Normal and AC Adapter = Unknown.

1.8K Posts

Hi rblanken,

Check if the charging port is loose, sticky or broken.

Try using an alternate AC adapter and see if the issue persists. 

If the issue still persists, you can check in BIOS if the AC adapter gets detected in BIOS. You can follow the steps below to check AC adapter in BIOS:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as you see the Dell logo, start tapping the ‘F2’ key on top of the keyboard.
  • If you wait too long and the Microsoft Windows appears, then continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Now shutdown your computer and try again.
  • After this a new window would appear. You can only use the arrow keys of the keyboard to navigate between the options as the mouse is not functional in this mode.
  • Navigate to Battery Information', check the status of AC adapter and battery. 

• If the battery or AC adapter does not get detected, you may load BIOS defaults. 
  • Restart your computer and see if it works.

If the issue persists, you may also update the system BIOS. 

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved.

• Click on the below link: http://dell.to/VI7kR0
  • Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the BIOS on your desktop.
  • Once the BIOS is downloaded on the desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Follow the prompts on screen and restart your computer.

Please share the findings. 

3 Posts

Yes, it has the big DELL logo in the center. So your talking about replacing the motherboard? If so, is that even worth it on this laptop? I looked it up and it looks like $120 off of Amazon.

No Events found!