Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

December 17th, 2008 19:00

Dell Inspiron 1420 Overheating issues?

Hello,

First time poster to the Dell Forums here.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1420, which I bought in Australia (where I am). I wanted the 1420N but figured I could simply wipe it and install Ubuntu myself. I bought the laptop for the single purpose of playing the game "Eve-Online". Running it under Linux  was a slow death so I installed Vista back using the original CD's and updated ALL the drivers (triple checked via microsoft, dell and manufacturer websites).

The laptop gets VERY hot in the bottom left corner, just above the SD Card slot. So hot that its too hot to touch. If I'm playing a graphics intensive game (EVE is the primary one, but I do have some other older games that this also occurs on) then with my left palm on that Lower left corner it heats up very quickly. I thought it may be the Nvidia chip and checked for drivers and updated but that doesnt make a deifference. I checked the GPU temp and its always at 45 degrees C. It has a dual core intel 2.0Ghz and Now I believe that it may have been built with the CPU's that run hot all the time.

Of course when it runs to hot what hapens? I get a bit of Hard Drive activity and the entire device shuts down. Even in the middle of a combat in Eve, which is VERY ANNOYING and costing me game $$!

I've checked logs and control panel and there is no warning about excessive CPU temperature but the CPU seems to run at 70 degrees C ALL THE TIME. This is certainly the cause of the shutdown - get the GPU running a bit and the extra temperature causes the temp to hit a point where the Laptop simply shuts down.

I figure there is an issue with either:

- CPU's overheating

- CPU temperature controls

- CPU fans

- CPU software and temperature reading drivers

- GPU fans (I hear them starting and slowing down so I dont think this is the issue).

Firstly, Is this normal?

Secondly has anyone else experienced this?

What should I do? Go to Dell Support and use the extended Warrantry I have (given I'll probably get a refurbished laptop back... although I dont know if it works like that in Australia)? Should I simply buy a Desktop PC, install an Nvidia card and use it for gaming and forget about a laptop? (I use it for spreadsheets and RPG gaming details as well as heaps of PDF files so I do need a portable device...)

I also want to use Ubuntu Linux as I enjoy playing with the OS but I can repartition Vista (Home basic) and install it using that Very easily (as a NTFS Vista Partitioned drive!)

HELP!

Regards,

Jason Brisbane

PS: Vista Home Basic; 2Gb RAM;nvidia 8600M 128M (could be 8400M - I'm going from memory here)

I dont have Antivirus software or anything else. I dont use Vista to read email, or surf the net, only to play Eve - everything else is done  with Linux. I have manually shutdown servcies to reduce the CPU load to no effect. Reinstalled everything to no effect. Left original drivers - no effect. Got latest drivers - no effect. Shutdown occurs when laptop gets hot IS the trigger condition...

2 Posts

November 25th, 2009 03:00

This tip may be coming too late to help you, but I just had the same problem on my Inspiron.  I thought it was a broken fan; and the online support manual indicated I'd have to totally disassemble the laptop (i.e. get the motherboard out of the case) to access the fan for replacement).  HOWEVER, I discovered a little door on the bottom of the case right next to the fan.  I unscrewed it and removed it; exposing what looks like a heat sink held in by 4 screws.  I removed it (took a little prying to get it out, and it revealed a LOT of compressed dust.  After clearing it out, I blew into the fan through the holes in the bottom of the case, and a ton more dust came out.  The laptop has been running fine ever since.  Here's a diagram of the process. .. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

1 Message

July 28th, 2009 18:00

Jason,

I have the same problem as you. I was wondering does your computer shutdown when running linux, because I use windows 7 and it still shuts down. My friend also has the same computer, and has the same problem. The only thing is my computer shuts down far more frequently than hers.

My computer even tends to shutdown when the system isn't that hot.

Did you find a solution to this problem? Because I have tried almost everything.

My system specs are the same, expect I am running windows 7 and upgraded to 4gb of ram.

Justin

1 Message

July 30th, 2009 00:00

Hi Justin,

I have had the same problems and have found this app very useful.

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html

Dell Inspiron/Latitude/Precision fan control utility

This will allow you to keep the fan on high all the time.

1 Message

December 31st, 2009 12:00

Thanks dwolff51 for the tip. I had the same problem, but after cleaning the heat sink and the fan my laptop started working normally.

1 Message

January 6th, 2010 22:00

That fixed my problem. Thanks. I have it running with i8krellm and it runs 50% cooler.

A shame dell doesnt provide an easier way for users to clear out the gunk in there. A common user shouldn't need to take out the entire heat sink.

Thanks again.

1 Message

December 22nd, 2011 22:00

PROBLEM SOLVED: INSPIRON 1420 OVERHEATS AND LINUX SHUTDOWN (solved after 1 year)

Many many thanks to dwoliff51.    I have a dell laptop brought from china.  It was dust which creats overhating problem and os linux got shutdown. How ever windows os continue to work with overhating.

The technical people from dell told me that dell laptop  dont support linux os.           I was thinking to buy a new laptop

I removed a TON of dust from the heat sink case outlet. it was blocked.

Now laptop works normally .

SREEDHARAN MODONVALAPPIL

LAMP (Developer)

1 Message

March 3rd, 2012 22:00

AMAZING!  It was SO simple to fix my overheating problem! 

It took less than 5 minutes - total.  I popped the cover off, loosened four sturdy screws, lifted the cooler assembly and pulled a HUGE hunk of compressed dust from the fan area.  Reversing the steps to reassemble is just a simple...and voila,  My computer runs like new.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

No Events found!