Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 31st, 2012 14:00

Dell Inspiron 1545 Black Screen

I know this topic has been said many times, but none of the solutions seem to help me. 

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 and have had this laptop for 3 or  more years. Last night I shut off my laptop normally but today, upon booting, the screen just turns black and nothing else. 

When starting up, the Dell logo still loads and the screen still shows "safe mode or start up regularly."

Upon choosing either option, the screen loads for awhile then fades into black. Nothing else happens after.

I wonder if anyone has a better solution to this problem.. If theres no solutions, I would atleast like to know how to save my files within the laptop. [Atleast to start it up once more to save all the files to a USB and not lose them forever..]

May 31st, 2012 15:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community.

It appears to be a no boot issue.Try going to the safe mode through the advance Boot option. You will get to the screen by tapping F8 multiple times after powering on the system before you get a Dell logo. If the system boots up in the safe mode then you can back up the data. If the system doesn’t boots  in the Safe mode then run the hardware diagnostic by tapping the F12 before Dell logo after powering on the system. If you get an error code then it will be indication of hardware failure and the data would be lost if the Hard drive has failed.

Please refer to the following URL:  http://dell.to/i5zbDR  to know more about how to troubleshoot Hardware problems.

Hope this will give help you resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Shashi K

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 31st, 2012 15:00

Try attaching an external monitor.

7 Posts

June 7th, 2012 12:00

Mine does the same thing!  I can see with external monitor.  I can see the screen if I shine a bright light on it.  If I plug external monitor in, the LCD comes on just fine.    It is as if the video card is turning the LCD screen off or something.  I JUST did a complete system restore back to DELL image, hoping this would resolve the issue, and it hasn't.

I was going to replace the LCD 'starter' I think it's called.  But I can't understand why it works just fine on start up, and into safe mode.  It displays fine until it starts loading windows.  Coincidence?  It IS running Vista.  I could replace that 'starter', but I don't really think that is the problem.....  PLEASE HELP ME!!!

2 Posts

July 21st, 2012 00:00

Same situation as Stlheadake above: 3-year-old Inspiron 1545, perfectly happy with it, until a couple of weeks ago it started acting up when booting.

Basically, what happens is this: When I power the computer on in the morning, it boots up, I get to see the Dell logo on the screen, and the screen suddenly goes black. At first I thought it was a no-boot issue, but no. Computer boots just fine, I just can't see anything (well, if I shine a bright light on the screen, I can see the desktop normally).

What I do is to force the laptop into sleep mode, then bring it back on, over and over, 4 or 5 times until the screen is on. Or, I connect an external monitor and restart it a couple of times until LCD screen works. Once I get it to work, I unplug the external monitor from the laptop, and everything runs smoothly for the rest of the day.

All I did so far was to backup all important information just in case. I haven't done anything else before I can get some feedback from Dell or another user who may have gone through the same issues.

I run Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pack 2- Spanish

Any help will be appreciated! Thank you so much

Summary:

• Computer starts booting, then screen goes black.
  • Booting process runs smoothly in the background.
  • I can see when I connect an external monitor.
  • Once I get LCD screen to work, everything runs smoothly from then on.

2 Posts

July 21st, 2012 01:00

I just bought a new Dell inspiron 1545 from Binary Store. I think it's not just the screen issue that we have with this model but my laptop heats up pretty quickly.

7 Posts

July 23rd, 2012 08:00

I think the HEAT IS the problem.  I think the heat from the processor is heating the video chip.  I cleaned the cooling fins on the fan, which is a not so easy task.  You pretty much have to completely dis-assembly  the laptop to gain proper access to the cooling fan to clean it.  I think it gets hot, and causes that chip to act up.  Here is a video I found that is an EXCELLENT resource for getting to the fan.  www.youtube.com/watch

I cleaned the cooling fins and the fan pretty good, and it has helped.  I have a theory that once that chip gets hot and starts acting up, it becomes very sensitive.  Because even though I have cleaned the cooling fan, my screen will still go blank randomly.  

I still don't have it fixed, I'm just not sure what to do at this point...?

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2012 13:00

Hey there, at first I thought it was a heat-related problem, too. But now I think it's something else. I'm not saying that high temperatures cannot cause the computer to act up, but see what I found out in another forum:

Apparently, the problem is a faulty inverter. If you don't know what it is (I didn't), just google "LCD inverter" and see for yourself. Basically, what it does is to invert or convert the low voltage from the laptop power source to a much higher voltage needed by the screen. When the inverter is faulty, LCD screen may appear black (but you can still see if you shine a bright light, like you said).

If it was the video card, then you wouldn't be able to see anything on an external screen either. But in my case, if I connect an external screen, I see perfectly.

If it was the LCD backlight, then the screen would be totally black (you wouldn't see anything, even if you shine a light on it) and it wouldn't ever come on. And that's not the case, because in both your laptop and mine, the screen eventually works.

Check this video on how to replace the inverter, it looks really easy, and the part seems pretty inexpensive. I think I'll order it online and see how it goes. I checked with two friends who are computer technicians, and they both told me that, according the symptons, 99% chances it's the inverter.

Just one question, how is your computer working now? Does the screen go black when you first turn it on?

Mine does this:

- I switch it on in the morning. It starts booting but the screen goes almost totally black when the Dell logo comes on.

- Then, I plug the external monitor and wait for the Windows sound that confirms the booting process is complete.

- Then I press F1 to go back and forth between LCD and VGA (laptop screen and external monitor) until I get an image in both screens. Once I have that, I just disconnect the external screen, and everything is fine for the rest of the day.

7 Posts

July 23rd, 2012 15:00

I bought an inverter from Dell. The part is like $6.73 and shipping was 7 bucks!  Less than 15 bucks for everything.  When I changed the part, NOTHING!!  Screen was still black, nothing!  No Dell splash screen upon power up.  So I went back to the old inverter.  It seems to work fine until you move the screen.  Sometimes you don't have to move the screen at all, it just goes black.  

The laptop isn't really mine.  It's a friends.  I helped him find it, and get it set up a couple of years ago.  So I am trying to get it fixed.  What I have been trying to determine is if I can swap displays from another laptop to his and see if that makes a difference?  I have couple Dell Lattitude D600s laying around, and I KNOW their displays are working correctly.  However, I need to know if they are interchangeable.  That way I can determine if it is the display or the video.

Does anyone know?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 23rd, 2012 15:00

Given that the D600 and Inspirons were made by totally different companies, it's highly unlikely.  The D600 uses a 14" screen vs. 15.x for the Inspiron - so the screen won't even fit (nor does it have the same aspect ratio).

7 Posts

July 24th, 2012 10:00

Try this!  I have placed a fridge magnet (about 1.5 inch by 2.5 inch) on the lower right corner of the laptop right next to the touch pad.  This is where the hall effect switch it to sense the lid closing.  Since putting the magnet there, the screen has not gone black!  I COULD replace the switch,  but I won't!  If this keeps working, I'll leave the magnet there!

Let's not get all crazy about magnets either.  I'm not talking about a rare earth magnet, or something super strong.  Just an everyday fridge magnet like a business card with a company name on it!

Try it, post your results!

4 Posts

August 6th, 2013 00:00

have you fix this problem since you post this comment?

4 Posts

August 6th, 2013 00:00

have you fix this problem since you post this comment?

7 Posts

August 6th, 2013 11:00

No it's just sitting there.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  It was a friends laptop.  He told me that he put a magnet on the laptop approximately where the magnet in the lid would hit (to simulate a closed lid situation) and it seemed to work for a bit.  I think he got tired of the magnet there though.

4 Posts

August 6th, 2013 12:00

HERE IS A TIP TO FIX A BLACK SCREEN:

1. REMOVE THE BATTERY

2. OPEN THE RAM COMPARTMENT

3. TAKE OUT BOTH RAM STICKS

4. INSERT ONE OF THE TWO RAM STICK (EITHER ONE)

5. REPLACE INTO THE LAPTOP, START IT UP

6.REPLACE THE BATTERY

(START IT UP, IF THIS WORKS THE SCREEN WILL WORK)

7.IF IT DOES NOT, SHUT DOWN COMPUTER

8. REMOVE BATTERY

9. REPLACE THE RAM STICK PUT IT ON THE SIDE

10. REPLACE THE RAM WITH THE OTHER ONE INSERT IT.

11.REPLACE BATTERY

12.START UP COMPUTER..

13...RE-DO ALL THIS AGAIN WITH TOP PART OF THE RAM INSERT

IF YOU NEED HELP WE CAN SET UP I CAN DO IT FOR FOR A CHARGE.

I REPAIR COMPUTERS ON A DAILY BASIS.

THE PROBLEM OF BLACK SCREENS BROKEN OR BAD RAM/MEMORY STICKS

7 Posts

August 7th, 2013 07:00

D@MN!  That is like the LAST thing I would have checked!  I'll get it back and give it a go.  I'll let you know what happens.  Thanks for the tip!

No Events found!