Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2012 08:00

Dell Inspiron 1545, black screen with flashing cursor

Hi,

I have the dreaded black screen with flashing cursor on my Inspiron 1545 (from 2009).  Here is the order of events as to how this happened:

The machine was acting funny, so I erased everything and reinstalled Windows, no luck, machine was still behaving oddly (slow, and crashing a lot).  I booted from a live Linux CD, which worked fine, no problems there.  Next, when I went to reinstall Windows again, it crashed, and wouldn't boot at all.  I get the Dell splash screen, and can get into config (f2) or boot order (f12).  It doesn't matter what I select, CD, USB, or HDD, it does nothing.  I turn it on, get the Dell splash screen, then the black screen with flashing cursor.  Nothing changes.  f8 does nothing either.

Since the crash, I have tried the following:

I have tried booting to my windows CD (Vista and 7, I even tried an old XP I had lying around), no luck.

I have tried booting to a Linux rescue disk, no luck.

I have tried booting to a Linux rescue USB stick, no luck

I have tried booting to a Linux live CD, no luck.

I tried removing the HDD, but just got an error, the unit still won't boot to the optical drive or USB at all.

I reseated the RAM to make sure that was OK.

The CD makes no sounds and the discs will not even spin up.  It is hard to tell, but I don't think the HDD is spinning up either.

Any suggestions?  I'm stumped!

Thanks for your help.

March 26th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

I have the dreaded black screen with flashing cursor on my Inspiron 1545 (from 2009).  Here is the order of events as to how this happened:

The machine was acting funny, so I erased everything and reinstalled Windows, no luck, machine was still behaving oddly (slow, and crashing a lot).  I booted from a live Linux CD, which worked fine, no problems there.  Next, when I went to reinstall Windows again, it crashed, and wouldn't boot at all.  I get the Dell splash screen, and can get into config (f2) or boot order (f12).  It doesn't matter what I select, CD, USB, or HDD, it does nothing.  I turn it on, get the Dell splash screen, then the black screen with flashing cursor.  Nothing changes.  f8 does nothing either.

Since the crash, I have tried the following:

I have tried booting to my windows CD (Vista and 7, I even tried an old XP I had lying around), no luck.

I have tried booting to a Linux rescue disk, no luck.

I have tried booting to a Linux rescue USB stick, no luck

I have tried booting to a Linux live CD, no luck.

I tried removing the HDD, but just got an error, the unit still won't boot to the optical drive or USB at all.

I reseated the RAM to make sure that was OK.

The CD makes no sounds and the discs will not even spin up.  It is hard to tell, but I don't think the HDD is spinning up either.

Any suggestions?  I'm stumped!

Thanks for your help.

No Events found!