Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2009 08:00

Dell Inspiron 1720 not booting up

I am having trouble with my sisters laptop it was first flickering when I would turn it on it did that for a long time. Yesterday I pressed where it said "repair" or something like that and when I cliked that it starting checking the computer and a bunch of info started appearing in my laptop some of it I was able to view which said corrupted but I really could not view the rest because it was going so fast. I was able to write down some of the things it said but I am not sure what they mean or how I can fix my laptop. The laptop does take me successfully to F2 which is "setup" and to F12 "Boot Menu" but when I start up my system it just keeps going back to the very beginning when it is being turned on where it shows DELL and the bar at the bottom that it says it's booting up but that's all it does it will not take me to the start-up page.

Here are some of the errors I wrote down.

"File record segment 4028 is unreadable." The number kept going I was able to write it all the way to 4031 but I think it kept going.

"Deleting orphan file record segment 518 all the way to 92160"

"127 large file records processed"

"Correcting error in index $I30 in file 1147"

"Deleting index entry ETWRTE~2.ETL in index $I30 of file 4380"

"Error Code 0F00:075D"

"MSG: DISK_0-The Self-Test failed the read portion of the test"

"SATA Disk S/N = 28AHT1YET-SMART Long Self Test"

Please help she really needs to start using it soon because she is taking online courses.

Thank you :emotion-2:

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 9th, 2009 08:00

I hope the important files are backed up because you need to replace the hard drive.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 9th, 2009 09:00

If the system is under a year old, call Dell with the error.  If it's more than that, and the warranty was only one year, you'll need to purchase a replacement 2.5" 9.5 mm SATA notebook drive.

The service manual is here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1720/en/sm/index.htm

3 Posts

If the important files were not backed up will this be a major problem? I don't know if she ever backed them up I am almost sure that she did not. Or will it be ok once I replace the 2.5" 9.5 mm SATA notebook drive?

Thank you,

3 Posts

Do you have any idea why this happened? She's only had it for about a year or so. Is there a web page where I can go to see how I can replace the hard drive?

Thanks for replying to my previous post.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

You'll have to start anew on the new drive, so you lose everything that was on the drive.  It may be possible to recover files though - to try, purchase a 2.5" USB 2.0 SATA drive case (about $10-20;  newegg.com has dozens) and mount the dying drive in it.  Attach it to a working system by USB and copy what you can still read.  What you should do is purchase TWO new drives - one to replace the faulty one and one to put into the drive case for keeping backups. As you have seen, there are two kinds of hard drives:  those that have failed and those that will fail.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 9th, 2009 10:00

Hard drives fail without notice all the time. Some run for many years while others fail in a few months. It's a fairly easy replacement and is covered in the manual here. The hard part is reinstalling the operating system and all the programs. You'll need the OS reinstallation disks. If you need another set, ask for them here.

No Events found!