Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2017 19:00

Dell Inspiron 5759 LCD only in safe mode

Hi there,

Here's to hoping someone can point to a possible solution.  First off let's start with some facts:

a) The Wife has a Dell Inspiron 5759 running Windows 10.

b) She comes to me and says she put machine to sleep brought it to work, and tried to resume.  It has no display.  She can hear the HDD spinning, fans whirling, but internal LCD panel is completely black (no power). I have her hold power button to shut the machine down.

c) She brings it home, and I start it.  I hear everything start up, LCD panel gets power, it goes into a Windows 10 start-up mode, but then goes completely off. No power.  However, machine is working, I even hear the Windows 10 'startup' sound. 

d) Laptop has *never* been hooked up to an external monitor; however, on a whim, since I can hear it running, I bring it over to a digital TV, plug in an HDMI cable, and lo and behold, I have a display at the Windows 10 log in screen.

e) Shut it down. Unplug the HDMI, and try to restart... same thing.  It starts, but the power is eventually cut after a Windows 10 startup.  Have to re-plug in the HDMI.

f) Next I try booting to a memtest flash drive I created.  That seems to be working just fine.

g) I then think to hook it up to the external TV, boot, and then using 'msconfig' place the machine into safe mode.  Hit restart, and unplug the external TV monitor.

It is at this point, I can now start the computer and the LCD panel remains powered after booting.  In fact, I can log in and use it.  No issues except being low-res and in safe mode.  One thing to note is the Device Manager reports the Generic PNP device with some kind of error and being cross configured or something to that effect.  I also tried to uninstall (and remove) the intel 520 HD graphics driver, and reload.  Still same behavior.

However, I can still run this laptop on the LCD panel when it boots into safe mode.  Once out of safe mode, the LCD panel shuts off during a WIndows loading sequence.

Another item that may be of interest is that when NOT in safe mode, and running on the external TV, if I try to switch between LCD panel and the external monitor, Win 10 only reports 1 display is found... the TV.  It's almost as if the Generic PNP driver is not finding the LCD panel as a valid device.

Anyone have any ideas?  EIDID issue?  Anything else?

2 Posts

November 9th, 2017 06:00

Robert,

Thanks for the reply.  I forgot to mention, I tried the DELL self-test (f12) and it reports no problems.  

What I believe is happened is somehow the Generic PNP monitor for the internal display has been corrupted.  I've tried uninstalling it in Windows 10 'safe mode', and letting Windows re-configure things on a reboot, but that still will not turn on the internal LCD panel.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to re-pave the entire machine using the Dell Recovery stuff, but was hoping someone had the easy answer before going down that route.

-Jeff

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

November 9th, 2017 06:00

Hi jclausius,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your wife's computer is not working as expected.  

Even though computers are capable of using sleep mode, it's not really a good thing to do.  Computers start so fast these days, that shutting it down completely is preferred over sleep or hibernation mode.  

With that said, here are some troubleshooting ideas from Dell's knowledge base that may be helpful:  http://dell.to/2ztzMPM

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

November 10th, 2017 03:00

Yes, it sounds like time for an OS reinstall.  Please be sure to back up your data beforehand.

No Events found!