Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

8 Posts

January 3rd, 2008 07:00

Dell Inspiron 6000 Computer Freezes when I Control Volume with Button thingys

Hi I don't know what those buttons that control sound are called but they are located next to the spot where you open the top. Ok so I just reinstalled Windows XP and downloaded and installed the audio driver from the website. Everything works fine (I can hear my music) until I decide to mute or lower/increase volume using those buttons thingy which then my computer freezes. Well not exactly, I can move my cursor around but I can't click on anything or execute anything with the mouse. Because of this I proceed to shut down (since I can't do anything) is through the power button, which then goes through that termination of all programs process, however I notice that I am able to click stuff again while it is shutting down (I am guessing it terminated some process that is causing the problem) Now I am manually forced to control volume through the tray icon which is very annoying. I have installed the correct driver... I don't know what is going on !!!

Message Edited by slimejocke on 01-03-2008 01:34 AM

667 Posts

January 3rd, 2008 12:00

When you reloaded Windows did you follow the procedures here?  The order you load the software in is important.

Make sure you've loaded the Notebook System Software and chipset drivers before you load the other drivers.

8 Posts

January 3rd, 2008 19:00

Hi that would make sense since I did it completely random. I have no idea what your link does, but is there a way to know which drivers to install first? I know you stated software then chipset then other ones, but could you name the specefic order of drivers I should install first? I'm not exactly tech savvy... Also should I uninstall all the other drivers b4 reinstalling the drivers?

667 Posts

January 3rd, 2008 21:00

1. Notebook System Software
  2. Chipset
  3. Broadcom NIC
  4. Everything else

For the NSS and Chipset drivers, if you're prompted to reboot, please do.  For everything else, ignore the reboot prompts and do it at the end.

No Events found!