Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2009 16:00

Dell Inspiron Laptop - Display shuts down

My son is stationed in Iraq and is having problems with his two year old Dell laptop.  Even when he is typing on his PC - after about ten minutes, the display will shut down.  He has to close the laptop up in order to get the display to work again.  The PC does not shut down - just the display.  He has tried using compressed air to blow out any dust that may have collected in the keyboard and etc - but this has been of no help.

I am thinking there must be a setting that has been changed - but would like for someone to please give us an idea as to what he can do to fix this.  This PC is very important to him - so is desperately trying to get the problem resolved.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 4th, 2009 17:00

49 Posts

November 4th, 2009 20:00

Does he have an LED display?   I have that problem too  and it seems related to the driver. I updated to the latest intel driver from MS update and then started to have the problem  .  You could remove the newer driver and reinstall the Dell one.      I noticed a setting for dimming the display and I wonder if that doesn't work with an LED display, the problem lessened when I turned off dimming.   I have also noticed that the display can be forced on by unplugging the power and going to battery and then replugging in the AC power. Otherwise I had to reboot the machine to force the display on.      No problems now that I installed windows 7 and set dimming to never.

2.4K Posts

November 10th, 2009 22:00

If he has an LCD then maybe his backlight is going out.  Ask him to plug it into an external monitor. FN F8 will toggle between the LCD and the monitor. If he gets an image on the monitor and not on the LCD then his LCD needs to be replaced.

1 Message

November 11th, 2009 00:00

I have come to the conclusion that there is a major problem with Dell laptops. I'm in Kenya and my Dell laptop is Inspiron 1525 and ihave been having the same problem. The computer do not shut down completely as at first thought, it is the backlight that shuts down, or is damaged. It just one year old now.

No Events found!