Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

December 8th, 2017 01:00

Dell Latitude E6400 thermal throttling?

Until recently the laptop worked fine, but now it experiences something that resembles thermal throttling.

Initially, everything is OK, but after 10-15 min of heavy use (and by heavy use I mean a 1080p youtube video), it starts to really chunk the responses. You would think is because is overheating, but the temps never gets really high.

[check attachment for higher resolution]

As you can see, the highest temp was presumably 77C, and the current one is 50C, while the On-Demand Clock Modulation is 50%, but it feels way worse. Once the ODCM kicks in it's very slow.

I'll give it a good clean inside and a new thermal compound this weekend, but I doubt that's the issue, it looks clean already.

Any thoughts on why is ODCM kicking in ?

1 Attachment

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

December 8th, 2017 04:00

Hi expert vision,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your E6400 is not performing as expected.  Here is a Dell Knowledge Base article you may find helpful.

Be sure you have your power management set to "portable/laptop or balanced mode" and your NVIDIA power optimizer set to "optimize my battery" mode.

December 11th, 2017 09:00

I fixed it. Aparantely this is a common problem for this model, and is due to GPU overheating. The CPU was fine and did not cause any thermal throttle when doing a CPU burn test. It was staying at 100% ODCM. However, when doing a GPU burn test, after 10 min it would drop the ODCM to the point the unit would be unusable.

I have to say, that the cooling design for this model is not great, cooling a GPU with a thermal pad, it's not a great idea.

Initially, I cleaned the radiator fins, which were a bit clogged, and replaced thermal paste on CPU. But it had no effect.

Then I replaced the old GPU thermal pad, polished the radiator base (which for some reason had a rough surface, applied some thermal paste between the radiator and the thermal pad, and finally 720p plays indefinitely, however 1080p still throttles after a while.

No Events found!