Highlighted

Dell Precision M6800 with AMD Firepro M6100 graphics issues

I have just received a M6800 laptop, it has 32gb ram and i7processor and 256gb SSD and a 1tb hdd with a the built in intel hd 4600 display and a firepro m6100 and it is running Windows . When I booted it Friday using a DVI connected display and a display port to DVI display and a usb display, it worked fine. I started installing SQL server and visual studio etc. I had to reboot and now the display on the display port gets garbled up when it gets to the screen you click to log in. I have tried this on a few EPort replicators and it happens almost everytime. I have installed the latest AMD drivers, first from Dell then from AMD and that has not helped. I even rest windows 10 and it happened after that. I have booted it with display port plugged in and it booted to a garbled display, then when I disconnected the cord the remaining displays cleaned right up. I am not sure what will help me at this point. Anyone have any ideas what to do next?

Thanks,

Later

0 Kudos
29 Replies

RE: Dell Precision M6800 with AMD Firepro M6100 graphics issues

I have a couple basic suggestions, first try testing with just the LCD, reboot several times and make sure that there aren't any problems with no external displays attached.

I also suggest making sure that when testing make sure that the AC adapter is connected to the notebook.  I suggest also selecting the high performance power plan in Windows as well.

If you boot without the display port display connected are they any problems, once booted to Windows are you able to connect the display port connection without any issues?

Also check the BIOS settings under video, there is a checkbox for Enable dock DP port 1 for Post, by default it is unchecked, check it and see if it helps.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

I can boot 100% of the time with no issues with laptop display as well as with a DVI or VGA external display plugged in and I can also boot 100% with a USB monitor attached at the same time. When I plug in the display port monitor, either a display port to DVI adapter or a display port to mini-display port cord, some of the displays, mainly the USB one and the Display port one but sometimes others as well become garbled. Most of the time when I unplug the display port it will clear up but not always. After it gets plugged in I will get error code 4101 "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." This is with AMD version of drivers and the Dell website ones. I have put the check in BIOS and it did not help either. I am not sure what to do next.

Thanks for your help,

Larry

0 Kudos

That is strange,  if possible test the system without any docking station with just the display port cable connected to one display and see if the problem occurs.  If possible try more than one display port cable. Try to isolate the problem as much as possible, is it the notebook, the docking station or the display port connection.  If it looks like it is specifically a problem with the notebook you may want to consider a possible service.

TB

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

Ok, tried fresh booting this morning. Tried it by booting out of dock with just the display port cable and then tried booting up without the display port cable and after system was stable plugged the display port in, both times the display garbled on the display port monitor. Then booted in dock and plugged the display port in dock and same outcome. I have tried two different cords, I am guessing I am now close to saying the laptop is the cause. When I plug the cord in after booting the display driver just crashes and then recovers with event id 4101. I guess I need to get service done, huh?

Thanks again,

Larry

0 Kudos

It does look like you have limited the issue to the notebook, trying a service may correct the problem.  I suggest contacting tech support in your area and request assistance.  If you have any difficulties please let me know.

TB

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
hilks
Copper

hometownnerd,

I stumbled across your post here a few days back.  I am having the same issue you are and so is a coworker of mine.

We both have the same configuration as you essentially.  

M6800

32GB Ram

Primary HDD 500GB SSD

Secondary HDD 1TB

Intel hd 4600

FirePro m6100

We are both developers and are also using Visual Studio and SQL Server.

We have the same issue with a garbled external display on DVI or Display Port. The issue is intermittent.

I have found that when I have the issue a restart will resolve the issue.

A few times I've had the issue and then my system would report that the driver had failed, a few seconds later the system would report that the driver had recovered and magically my display would start working correctly.  I've tried several different versions of drivers from Dell's site as well as the manufacturer's site.

As a work-around: I've found that when the issue occurs I can launch task manager, then File--> New Task.  Then type explorer.exe to kick off a new instance of explorer.exe.  After a few seconds the issue is resolved and you don't have to close all of your programs like you would for a reboot.

I'll be opening a support ticket with Dell and referencing this ticket maybe if you do the same Dell will fix this issue.

Thanks for the workaround, although sometimes it seems if I just unplug the display port cable it clears up, but I have just been running by using my laptop display, a DVI display, and a USB display until after Christmas was done. I have just created a ticket with Dell and I have referenced this post. Hopefully the tech can fix it. They were going to just send me a Video Card and have me put it in, uh this laptop is all of a month old, I think you guys at Dell can put it in. Little strange to offer that, but I guess some people may want to do it themselves.

Thanks for responding, hopefully Dell figures it out and it is a simple fix for them.

Have a great day

0 Kudos

Well, Dell tech just left after installing a new video card, still has same issue here. Tech said maybe it is motherboard and will order one and hopefully it will be here tomorrow to put in. So, I guess I will see if that is the real issue. Not sure if anyone has had theirs fixed yet and found what truly fixed it.

0 Kudos
SvenCC
Copper

My technician replaced both the motherboard and the AMD today and no joy as well. Windows 10 does not like the m6800 with AMD m6100 too much Smiley Sad...

0 Kudos