Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2012 11:00

Dell inspiron N5030 won't start up

My Dell laptop won't start up. When i press the power button it takes me to this white blinking underscore "_" ,that's on the top left 

hand side. It won't go any further than that. It also makes a beeping sound when i press a key.

October 9th, 2012 11:00

Hi Yazmin,

This issue may occur due to a hardware failure or if the operating system is corrupted. Firstly, I would recommend you to run a hardware diagnostics to determine any hardware failure:

You can try to perform the Dell Diagnostics to determine if there is any hardware failure. To perform the diagnostics, follow the steps:

1. Turn off the computer; press and hold the key, push the power button and release the keys simultaneously.

2. A blue screen will appear stating Pre-boot System Assessment .

3. A screen will appear with a message 'Were color bars displayed?(y/n).

4. Press 'Y' key if the color bars are displayed properly. 

5. If you get any error code, make a note of it and continue testing.

6. Please share the error codes if any.

If all the tests pass, I would advise you to power off the system, take out the battery and AC adapter, disconnect all external devices and press and hold the power button for 10 to 15 seconds, then put the battery and adapter back in and power it on.

If you are still getting the black screen, try to boot the system in safe mode:

To start the system in safe mode:

• Restart the system and tap on the F8 key
  • Use the arrow keys to choose safe mode and press enter.
  • Check if the system is booting up.

If the system boots up in safe mode you can try a system restore:

Follow the steps below to do a system restore.

• Click on Start
  • Type in System Restore in the Search box and press Enter.
  • Restore system to an earlier date
  • In the Welcome to System Restore window, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.
  • In the System Restore window, click Select a Restore Point page of the System Restore window appears.
  • On the calendar, dates in bold indicate restore points. Select the desired date then select the restore point from the list on the right. The best likely restore point to use is the last restore point before problems were observed with the system.
  • Click Next.
  • In the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, verify that the desired restore point is selected, then click Next.
  • After the computer restarts, the Restoration Complete page of the System Restore window appears.
  • Click OK

Hope this helps. Do reply with results.

5 Posts

October 9th, 2012 17:00

It still shows the black screen. When i powered it on i tried to press F8 key to try to restore it but it just made the beeping sound and wouldn't do anything.

October 10th, 2012 04:00

Hi Yazmin,

Did you try running  the hardware diagnostics on the system? Please let me know the result of the diagnostics. Also, let me know if you are able to see the Dell logo when you are powering on the system and make sure you do not have any external devices (USB flash drives, external hard drives, printers) when you are powering up the laptop.

If the diagnostics pass and you are not able to go to the F8 menu then we would need to re install Windows on this system from the Dell OEM DVD for Windows 7.

I am adding you as a friend; please accept my friend request and send me a personal message with the system Service Tag so that I can check the system warranty details and help you accordingly. 

Do reply with results.

5 Posts

October 10th, 2012 14:00

I am able to see the Dell logo when i turn it on. And i am able to see the options F2 and F12.

October 11th, 2012 05:00

Hi Yazmin,

Thank you for your reply.

I have also received your system service tag and checked the details. I would like to know the results of the hardware diagnostics that were provided in the last post.

Please run this diagnostic test as it is the most basic test to determine any failures with the hardware. Your system is still in warranty so in case of any hardware failures we can replace it, if the hardware tests pass then we will try to determine in case there are any issues with the operating system and how to get it working.

Please follow the steps below to run the hardware diagnostics:

1. Turn off the computer; press and hold the key and then push the power button to power on the system.

6. Please share the error codes if any.

If all the tests pass, then you will need to re install the the Windows 7 as the system is not booting on the F8 screen. For re installing the Windows you will require the Dell OEM DVD for Windows 7 installation. Please check if you have the DVD and let me know.

Please send me the result of the hardware diagnostics, so that I can help you accordingly.

If the diagnostics pass and you have the Windows 7 installation DVD, you can re install the windows and the drivers too fix the issue.

Note: Re installing Windows erases ALL existing data. This includes files, folders, programs, drivers, E-mails, photos. Before performing a PC Restore, back up all personal files. If you do not back up your personal files, the data will be lost. 

You can re install Windows 7 by following the steps on the link below.

http://dell.to/Qe7jyP 

Please reply for any further questions.

5 Posts

October 11th, 2012 16:00

I ran the hardware diagnostics and it said "no problems have been found with this system so far. Do you want to run the remaining memory tests?"  I ran the remaining memory tests but it also passed. I do not have the DVD .

October 14th, 2012 05:00

Hi Yazmin,

If all the tests have passed, it indicates that the hardware is working fine, to resolve the issue we will need to re install the windows. The system is still reflecting under the retailers name. I have sent you a private message, please check the message and reply with the required information, so that I can transfer the system ownership to your name and send you the re-installation kit.

Re-installing the windows will delete all existing data from the system, so if you have anything important you can contact a local technician and get it backed up.

Please reply for any further questions.

1 Message

October 20th, 2012 02:00

I am having the asame problme.  So i followed your directions and when i press and hold FN button ans simultaneously press adn release the power button...it beeps then shuts off before there was no beep and there never is a beep unless i hold down FN

I really need some help in taking the next step

1.1K Posts

October 22nd, 2012 12:00

Hi ewood2000,

I believe you are facing an issue with Inspiron N 5030. Do you see the Dell logo when you turn on the system? Let me know the status of the power light on the system. Please run the diagnostics on your system from 'F12 'menu to check the hardware functionality:

• Restart the system and keep tapping 'F12' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Diagnostics‘ using up and down arrow keys and press enter.
  • The diagnostics should begin.
  • You should see the color bars.
  • Press 'Y' to proceed further

Please let me know if you get any error code. 

If you do not see anything on the screen, run the LCD test:

• Power off the system completely.
  • Press and hold 'D' key and press power button at the same time; make sure 'D' key is pressed when you press the power button to turn on the system.
  • This should initiate the LCD BIST diagnostics. 
  • Please let me know if you see the color bars.

Keep me posted. Please reply in case you have any further questions.

1.1K Posts

October 22nd, 2012 12:00

Hi Yazmin,

I am following up on behalf of DELL_Abhishek_B. I have added you as a friend and also sent you a private message. Please reply with the required information. I will be glad to assist you.

1 Message

December 1st, 2012 22:00

Hi

I also have a Dell Inspiron n5030.  With the same problems as Yazmin.  When I tried the diagnostic test it froze at the CPU check.   Again I tried the Dell diagnostic but a totally blank screen, and then 4 beeps in a row after a while.   I then tried to restart in safe mode but with no success.  Please advise what I should do next.

Yesterday I was receiving a ram error and I opened the laptop and reset the ram.  it then worked no problems for 4 or 5 hours.  this morning again my problems begun as I have described above.

Looking Forward to your reply.

Jenny

December 4th, 2012 00:00

Hi Jenny,

The four beep codes indicates that the the memory cards are not being recognized by the system, so once you re-seated it the system was working fine. Please share the following information so that I can help you better:

• Are you still getting the 4 beep codes?
  • When you power on the system, on which screen does the system freeze?
  • What is the operating system installed on your computer?
If you are not getting the 4 beeps please try to run the diagnostics by following the steps below.
  • Power off the system.
  • Press and hold the Fn key and then power on the system.
  • The diagnostics will start, just run the initial test and share the error code if you get any.
In case you are getting the beep codes please try to reseat the memory cards once again and make sure that the cards and inserted properly.
Please reply for any further help.

2 Posts

December 13th, 2012 18:00

Hello! 

My name is Jon and I am new to the Window OS, you seemed like the guy to ask questions! I was Hoping you might be able to help me out. My computer (Dell Inspiron N5030) told me that I had a system update, the update was for a program I was not running nor had I installed the program. I quit the installer and then restarted my computer. When I restarted my computer it booted to the windows screen with a loading bar. It stayed on this screen for about 15 minutes and then rebooted on its own. I read your post and decided to take the following steps.

1. Turn off the computer; press and hold the key and then push the power button to power on the system.

I received this error code:

Error Code  0146.

Msg : Error Code 2000-0146

Msg  : Hard Drive 0 - self test log contains previous error (s)

Support to help diagnose the problem Do you want to continue testing?

I would assume it to be in need of a new hard drive. I'm curiously hoping to find another solution. I have an Hp running the same OS version and was wondering if we could some how try a system restore.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

December 13th, 2012 19:00

Hi Jon Bailes,

The error code 2000 0146 is for the hard drive. We need to reseat the hard drive on the computer and re-run the diagnostics.

Reseat the hard drive if you are comfortable in doing so.

Refer below link to reseat the hard drive on the computer:

http://bit.ly/XZsWZK

Reseat the hard drive and then run diagnostics on the computer.

Let me know the status.

Awaiting your response!

2 Posts

December 14th, 2012 17:00

I followed the article and was able to successfully re-seat the hard drive. I ran the test once again;

I received this error code:

Error Code  0146.

Msg : Error Code 2000-0146

Msg  : Hard Drive 0 - self test log contains previous error (s)

Support to help diagnose the problem Do you want to continue testing?

No Events found!