Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2009 15:00

GPU failure: Dell Latitude D630 with NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M

GPU failure: Dell Latitude D630 with NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M

I have had two of these laptops fail now, with the well known issue of GPU failure (overheating). Occasionally they will boot up and sometimes even work for a few minutes (or even a little longer) before crashing. Is the GPU a replaceable item? If so, how would I go about getting a replacement and schematic plus how-to-replace? The machines are almost certainly out of warranty (bought used), and are currently acting as paperweights.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 12th, 2009 16:00

The GPU is hard soldered to the mainboard - the entire board must be replaced.

You'll want to make sure the seller transferred ownership to you - Dell extended the warranty on these by one year, but you must be the registered owner:

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

2 Posts

September 28th, 2009 14:00

I got  a D630 with Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M video card, bought a year ago. I had the misfortune of upgrading the driver recently from the dell's website. Now I get blue screen (nv4_disp driver stuck in infinite loop). For the last two weeks, I tried every possible trick to make it to work i.e. tried different drivers, re-installed OS, but nothing worked. It is still under warranty. Opened a case with Dell Tech support. Ran through the diagnostics, comes back clean. Yesterday it completely died. Can't even get to the BIOS screen. Sent it back to Dell. Hopefully they will replace with video card. 

Are they going replace with a new Nvidia card or some other brand ?

TIA

-Shynee

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 28th, 2009 16:00

There's no card to replace -- the video in this system is hard soldered to the mainboard. You'll get a replacement mainboard with what nVidia claims is an updated GPU.

2 Posts

October 1st, 2009 11:00

Thanx ejn. That's what the tech told me today. 

No Events found!