Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2013 15:00

HDD slots and connection speeds for Inspiron 17R 7720 SE

Hello everyone

I have recently bought an Inspiron 17R 7720 SE in Greece.

I am a bit puzzled with the specs regarding hard disk drives.

I opened the laptop and saw one HDD which is 1TB Scorpio Blue wd10jpvx which is SATA3 (6Gb/s). I also saw an empty bay for 2.5 disk and one empty slot for msata disk.

My questions are as follows

1) Does my motheroboard actually support SATA3 for my current non-SSD drive or it is a SATA3 drive connected to a SATA2 socket?

2) Does the second bay support SSD disks as well and the socket is SATA2 or SATA3?

3) Which is the best solution in terms of speed a) msata or b) ssd in the second bay?

My thought was to buy an 120GB SSD or msata, make it primary with windows ubuntu and programs for both, and keep the current 1TB drive for data storage

Any help will be much appreciated

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

August 15th, 2013 18:00

Hi drlouisp,

There are two SATA 2 connectors available for the mechanical or SSD drives and one mSATA port.

You may use SSD in the second bay.

You will not find noticeable difference in terms of speed between SSD and mSATA. mSATA is just a miniture version of SSD but both use same technology and both are SSD.

It appears that mSATA port is SATA 3 and is likely to provide better speed with regards to SSD working on the SATA 2; however need more clarity around this subject.

I am sharing the case details with the concerned department to get clarification on the mSATA port to see if there is a possibility of SATA 2 mSATA ports being shipped at any point.  Will keep you updated.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance. I will be glad to assist you further.

4 Posts

August 16th, 2013 05:00

Thank you very much for the quick reply. It would be really great to know if msata is sata3 then before I purchase one!

Best regards and once more thumbs up for DELL

74 Posts

August 16th, 2013 10:00

my DELL 7720 SE has SATA3 ports...

4 Posts

August 16th, 2013 12:00

That is my core question especially for the msata. My biggest issue is to choose between buying a 2.5 SSD or an msata. So is there a way to know exactly what is inside my 7720?

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

August 19th, 2013 18:00

Hi drlouisp,

I am still awaiting response from the concerned department related to the availability of mSATA ports.

I will keep you updated.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

August 30th, 2013 18:00

Hi drlouisp,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay.

I am still awaiting response from the concerned department and will update you as soon as I get the response.

Please feel free to reply in case of any other concerns.

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

September 6th, 2013 00:00

Hi drlouisp,

Apologies for the delay.

I am replying on behalf DELL-Kuldeep M as he is out of the office. We did get the response about your query from the concerned department. The mSata port on your computer is a mSata 3.0 port.

You may now go ahead and purchase the SSD according to your choice.

Hope this helps.

1 Message

October 23rd, 2013 00:00

What is the speed offered by mSATA interface. Is it 3Gbps or 6Gbps?

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 02:00

Hi dexku,

The mSATA interface provides speed up to 6 GB/s.

If a SATA II drive is connected it would work at the speed of SATA II i.e. 3 GB/s and if a SATA III drive is connected, it would work at the speed offered by SATA III i.e. 6 GB/s.

For more information, please share the exact system model.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

No Events found!