Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2012 19:00

HOW CONNECT EXTERNAL MICROPHONE

How I connect external microphone to a Inspiron N411Z?

4.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2012 20:00

The quick start manual for your notebook.

support.dell.com/.../dao.pdf

There is no connector for an external microphone.

You could connect a USB microphone.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 23rd, 2012 07:00

The Quick Start guide for the N311z has the same jack labeled "headphone/microphone" connector. In other words a combo jack. If the N311z does actually have a combo jack then it is possible that the N411z does also even though it is labeled as "Audio out/headphones".

A combo connector works with smart phone headsets, the kind that has an inline mic.. That kind of headset has a single mini plug with 4 segments instead of the normal 3 segments. A combo jack will work with a regular headphones but not with a regular mic because of the positioning of the contacts. You need an adapter to get a mic to work with that kind of jack -- if the N411z even has that kind..

21 Posts

February 7th, 2012 05:00

I just received my 14z (N411Z) and was able to verify that the headphone jack on the system IS INDEED the dual headphone/microphone connector. Per post from jimco you would need to use the 'smart phone headset' - that's the one I used. I will try the 'regular' microphone and update with the results.

1 Message

April 2nd, 2012 14:00

So, what's the incoming news? Please update the topic with any results if available

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 2nd, 2012 17:00

here is a summary. If you have a laptop with a combo jack socket -- that means just one jack for both a mic and a headphone set -- you can use:

> headphones

> or a smart phone headset

> or an adapter that will allow you to use a regular headset or mic. An adapter would be like the Headset Buddy shown here;

Note that the plug of the Headset Buddy has 4 segments and that is what you need with a combo jack. The other end has a jack socket for headphones and one for a mic.

No Events found!