This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 29th, 2010 03:00

How to enable Fn permanently?

Relates to Dell Studio 1558.

I don`t know which 'clever guy' invented all F1..F12 to be disabled by default in my keyboard but it is mighty annoying. I want to debug my software by pressing F10, but it`s impossible since I have to press Fn as well, which is in the opposite section of keyboard and my hand is just to small to reach both those keys. I want to rename file in my remote computer by pressing F2, but this results in my WiFi being turned off and my remote desktop being killed. And it`s only because some crazy Dell inventor failed to understand what really Fn means.

What I really want is to get F1...F12 functionality when I really press those keys. I don`t want to be forced to press Fn every time. How would you help me?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 29th, 2010 07:00

I think you are a bit confused.

Fn+F2 turns off the wifi. F2 by it self does nothing.

Fn+F10 opens the DVD drive tray. F10 by itself does nothing.

278 Posts

April 14th, 2010 00:00

You should be able to make this change in the Bios, I did on my Studio 1555

1 Message

March 6th, 2012 16:00

Dear friend, i have the same problem with mi laptop. I use the function keys in every application so, i understand you. I can change this setting in my laptop, so i think this can help you. I have a Inspiron N5010 model, whith Windows 7 Home Premium (spanish). Run the Windows Mobility Center (Start -> All programs-> Accesorios) and them select use the function keys in the dell special features. Setting this, you use the function keys normally.

1 Message

September 22nd, 2014 21:00

Power on computer

Press f2 continuously

You will load into bios.

Go to advanced- navigate to Function key

Change the setting to Function key first.

Save changes by clicking f10.

That resolved my problem.

Hopefully will resolve yours.

No Events found!