Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

August 18th, 2005 00:00

Inspiron 1100 Recovery

Hello,

I am wanting to redo my Inspiron 1100 to the way it came from Dell but cannot find the proper procedure to successfully do this. I have been reading some posts here where partitions were deleted during recovery and it has caused issues.

I have backed up all my data and just want a completely new fresh Dell system. The correct procedure would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

:smileywink:

Message Edited by Pansat on 08-17-2005 08:42 PM

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 18th, 2005 00:00

Product support, reinstall guides, above left.

11.9K Posts

August 18th, 2005 01:00

@Pansat wrote:

I have a Toshiba Satellite 5200 as well that I just pop a recovery CD in and Ghost completely reformats and restores to the way it was purchased. I'm sure Dell does this as well, does it not?

No, Dell does not do that.

4 Posts

Thank you ejn63, will prepare to do what you have mentioned.

4 Posts

Oh do I feel dumb not noticing that, thank you but still a bit unsure. Those guides refer to installing XP itself but I have been doing some reading on this forum and have read talks about hidden partitions that you can restore the computer to state when it was first shipped but nothing in those guides refering to that.

I have a Toshiba Satellite 5200 as well that I just pop a recovery CD in and Ghost completely reformats and restores to the way it was purchased. I'm sure Dell does this as well, does it not?

I just don't want to delete important hidden partitions then be unable to recover from such an action.

Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

The recovery partition is only on Dell Dimension and Inspirons shipped after July 15, 2004. The 1100 is almost certainly older than that.

There is a diagnostic partition on the hard drive, but as long as you do not repartition the drive, it will remain there (it is hidden).

You will need to boot the XP CD, reinstall, install SP2, install the chipset, system software, audio, video, network, etc., drivers.

Then ENABLE THE XP FIREWALL before you go online to get the considerable number of post-SP2 updates.

4 Posts

August 19th, 2005 20:00

Definately the worst machine I have ever had to recover, if thats what you want to call it. It's no different than having a freshly formatted hard drive and manually reinstalling the OS, drivers, apps etc...I'm actually really surprised Dell has not had an imaging system in place before this unit was purchased. Then to top it all off the included drivers cd worked when it wanted too, a bit frustating. The Dell site was just as brutal returning pages saying there were no downloads for the Inspiron 1100. Eventually I just kept returning, refreshing the page unitl the download links appeared.

All in all, its rebuilt, no more Dell bloatware and running well. Thank you for your help.
No Events found!