Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2016 20:00

Inspiron 3521 system in recovery forgot bios password

Hi - I am at wits end because after dealing with several update/driver/virus problems in windows 8.1, my system went into total recovery mode with none of the options helping.  When I was limited to turning it on and ONLY getting a black screen with the blue password box, I had to set it aside for a bit before I lost my mind.  When I tried copying my files to a usb, I realized that all my passwords that I had saved on a document, did not copy.  Before I lost my mind, I had to set it aside for a while and figure out what to do.  Upon returning to it, I realized that I forgot that exact system password and could not retrieve it, as well as my email password with which I set up my account with (and I also changed phone numbers within this time)! Therefore, I went back to researching my latest issue with this system (that I can't believe has been the BIGGEST pain in the rear that I have ever had) and haven't found a solution.  I am usually self sufficient and have learned a lot about computers in the past year, but I just don't have any fight left in me for this.  Please let me know who I can send the information about my computer too and I pray that someone can help me get in there.  Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 22nd, 2016 04:00

If it's the Windows password, you can restore the system from  your recovery media without it -- if you didn't prepare a set, call Dell to purchase one.

If it's a system password (BIOS/UEFI power on password), you will need to call Dell support by voice phone.  Be prepared with your ownership details and, unless the system is in warranty, with a credit card -- the call will not be free unless the system is in warranty.

No Events found!