Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 25th, 2013 19:00

Latitude E5500 blank screen

When I boot my laptop the screen stays blank. You here the start up but screen still black as if not started. The blue symbol on F4 key lights up a 9 in a lock!! Can anybody help me so I can get the screen to work please???

November 21st, 2014 05:00

Phone Dell Tech Support this morning, after a few diagnostic Dell are coming out next Monday to fix the MOTHERBOARD! 

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

February 25th, 2013 21:00

Hi richardtuuck2010,

Along with the status of LED on ‘Num Lock’ key, I would like to know the LED status of ‘Caps lock’ and ‘Scroll lock’  (as shown in the picture below) key to isolate the issue.

-

I recommend you to connect an external monitor and check if there is display on it. Press ‘Windows’ + ‘P’ on the key board to get display on the external monitor.

I also suggest you to run diagnostics on display. To test the display shut the system down, next press and hold the letter ‘D’ on the keyboard and press the power button. This will initiate diagnostics on the display. Please check if the colors are displayed across the screen without a problem.

Check the status of the display and please revert for further assistance.

To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/QjjZDA .

February 25th, 2013 21:00

Thank you for coming back to me. When I start the computer the numbers lock key lights up. I haven't activated the numbers lock! After a minute it goes off. The caps lock and scroll lock don't light up. I haven't got an external monitor at present as I am away on holiday! I have had this situation before. I have left it off for a day or two and when I booted it the display came back! Not sure how I can run a diagnostic check as I can't see anything on the screen, unless you mean on the external monitor??

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

February 28th, 2013 00:00

Hi richardtuuck2010,

Pressing letter ‘D’ key and powering on the system should automatically launch diagnostics on the Screen. You don’t need an external monitor to run LCD test.

You may also try this step that is shut the system down, remove the battery and disconnect the ac adapter, press and hold the power button for 20 to 30 seconds.  Now connect only the ac adapter and wait for 30 seconds , press and hold the Fn key on the keyboard and power on the system. This will run diagnostics on the hardware components and also the display.

Please reply with the status.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

March 5th, 2013 07:00

Hi richardtuuck2010,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to this post. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

5 Posts

October 24th, 2013 13:00

Hi,

I've the same problem , I can see just a 1/2 second flash to see the dell logo after always black.

Any ideas ?

Thanks you

Sincerely

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

October 28th, 2013 04:00

Hi sdecorme,

Please let me know if there is any light on the keys shows below:

-

Please perform flee power. Shut the system down, remove the battery and disconnect the ac adapter, press and hold the power button for 20 to 30 seconds. Now connect only the ac adapter and wait for 30 seconds and turn on the system. This will drain any residual charge in the capacitors.

Let me know the status.

5 Posts

November 2nd, 2013 05:00

HI,

I've done what you tell me . Like in normal way the computer seems to works normally without screen.

There is not light keys on .

The HDD toggle sometime and I can stop the computer when I push the power button .

It look like the video card is dead . Can I change it ?

Thanks you

5 Posts

November 4th, 2013 07:00

I mean that the HDD led works like a normal way . I look with an external screen tonight

Thanks you

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 4th, 2013 07:00

Hi sdecorme,

Thank you for the update. Please let me know if there is display on the external monitor. Also run diagnostics on the LCD screen. To test the display shut the system down, next press and hold the letter ‘D’ on the keyboard and press the power button. This will initiate diagnostics on the display. Check the status of the display and please revert.

I did not understand this “
The HDD toggle sometime and I can stop the computer when I push the power button”. Please elaborate.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 7th, 2013 06:00

Hi sdecorme,

Thank you for clarifying. Please let me know the status on the external monitor.

1 Message

April 29th, 2014 19:00

Hi, I have the same problem as you're mention above, I done using external monitor but nothing happen, my laptop was get water damage & cause this problem.  Please advice me the necessary things that I need to do. already 2 days after water damage.. I done all the cleaning procedure.

October 11th, 2014 11:00

Hello mt name is dalton ludwig i have the same issue intell last nigt if i booted my laptop up in safe mood and shut it down it would work how ever this morning it wouldnt work the three buttens come on and i can log it in i just dont have the back light i belive tjat the back light is out and wont have another screen to hook it up to for a few more hours any idea?

October 11th, 2014 15:00

Hello mt name is dalton ludwig i have the same issue intell last nigt if i booted my laptop up in safe mood and shut it down it would work how ever this morning it wouldnt work the three buttens come on and i can log it in i just dont have the back light i belive tjat the back light is out and wont have another screen to hook it up to for a few more hours any idea?

November 21st, 2014 03:00

Morning All, 

I have also got a Black Screen problem, i'm pretty sure its a video card problem. 

• I have run the LCD diagnostics - Power Button + D = the colours appeared 
  • The Power Draining Diagnostic did nothing - No Battery/Adapter - 30 second power button hold and adapter back in. - Nothing
  • External Monitor test again - shows nothing - HMDI and VGA 

The laptop is only a few months old i'm sure the warranty will cover it.

Video Card Error for sure? 

Thanks 

Ben

No Events found!