Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

5 Posts

October 15th, 2005 23:00

No Sound On Inspiron 8200

Hi Everyone...

I have an Inspiron 8200...The other day, the hard drive stopped working.  I updated the BIOS and everything and I got lucky that it started running again.  Then, the keyboard, mouse, DVD drive, and audio went out.  I did all the diagnostics, updated drivers, opened the laptop up, and was able to repair everything except the audio.  When running WMP or Winamp, it says there are no speakers/sound setup.  In the Device Manager, there are no exclamation points, etc.  Can someone please help?  I've been trying to fix this for the past couple days and really need to study for my exams!  Thanks!

P.S.  I bought my laptop when these 8200s first came out years ago and my warranty has run out...

4.2K Posts

October 16th, 2005 09:00

Hi,

Does the headphone socket work ? If so the palm-rest connection is most likely loose.

Regards Chris

5 Posts

October 16th, 2005 16:00

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.  My computer does not even recognize the hardware anymore.  What connection is exactly loose do you think?  I opened it up and I did see the speakers next to the palm rests, but there was nothing I saw that was loose.  Thanks.

Majid

5 Posts

October 16th, 2005 17:00

Also, in the Device Manager, under "Sound, Video..." only this appears:

Crystal WDM Audio Codec

Legacy Video Capture Devices

Video Codec

I remember there were more such as the Multimedia Audio Controller.

Also, under System Devices, the Plug and Play is missing...I was told to delete it, but it never reinstalled. 

Please help!!!!!

5 Posts

October 16th, 2005 17:00

I just ran diagnostics and both speakers work fine in the testing, which means the sound card is functional.  I reinstalled the driver, but nothing.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Majid

4.2K Posts

October 16th, 2005 20:00

Hi,

It may be a long shot, but I would try taking the modem out. It is the small card under the big door, and next to the 2 memory slots. Often a modem fault will stop the audio.

Regards Chris

No Events found!