Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

322 Posts

June 12th, 2008 10:00

Pages opens with small screen

Good morning,

On the Inspiron 1525 laptop, screensavers does not cover the entire screen.  There is not any problem with the length of the picture, but the width.  The picture sits in the middle of the screen with nothing but black space on the left and right.

Similarly with other files in control panel, such as "uninstall programs."  They open in small screen and can not be maximized.  

Initially, all files and programs opened in minimized screen, including the home page.  I read in this forum how to stretch the screen from the bottom right, X close it, then reopen.  This worked for most pages, especially the home page.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Nissi1

Nissi1

June 12th, 2008 16:00

Did you try to resize your windows using that same technique when in control panel? Since explorer and internet explorer are different, it probably won’t remember those settings. How big do you want them to get?   As far as the screen saver, are the pictures normally proportioned? The only reason I can think of for them to have black space on the side would be if their resolution (width) is smaller than your screen resolution. For instance, if your picture is 800x600 and screen resolution is 1024x768, it should stretch to take up the whole screen. But if you’re on a widescreen laptop with a resolution of say 1280x800, then your 800x600 picture would look really strange if it was stretched to that width, so it probably stretches to the height and constrains proportions.   Does that make sense?   There may be an option to "unconstrain" proportions in your screen saver preferences. Are you in XP? Vista ?
Message Edited by PowerSystemsTech on 06-12-2008 12:31 PM
Message Edited by PowerSystemsTech on 06-12-2008 12:32 PM

322 Posts

June 12th, 2008 18:00

Good afternoon PowerSystemsTe…,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I have attempted to resize the windows.  I tried using the maximize/minimize box and the "stretch." 

How big did I want them to get?  Full screen size.

The screensavers are the Vista screensavers that came with the laptop.  (I now realize I did not make that clear in my post.)  If you divided the 15.4 screen of a laptop into 3 vertical parts and placed a picture in the middle, this would give you an idea of the viewing size of the screensaver on this laptop.

Since this laptop is a replacement for the another laptop and the size of the screensavers on the first machine were exactly the same, I thought this was normal.  When I saw another laptop I knew it was not.

Yesterday, I opened Windows Defender to install an upgrade.  It opened about the size of the Internet Options window.  I could not stretch nor maximize it.

During a session with a tech support personnel on the first laptop, I inquired into the size of the screensavers.  He checked the settings and said they were set for default which was appropriate for that laptop.

It does not make sense to me.  I have a 19 inch screen and my screensavers cover the entire area.

Again, thank you and God blesss you.

Nissi1 

June 14th, 2008 01:00

Hi!  Sounds like you have a widescreen display (16:9) and your display settings are set for a normal screen (4.3).  Try this:  Start > Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Adjust Screen Resolution.  Another screen should pop up with the images of the two types of monitors.  Check to make sure the widescreen is chosen if indeed that's what you have, and it does sound like it.  I also have the Inspiron 1525, just got it a couple of days ago and when I was messing with the settings I found that the regular screen was set as default so I had to change to widescreeen.  Hope this helps you!

322 Posts

June 14th, 2008 07:00

Good evening Sweetladyluck27 (love that name),

You are great!  I never realized it was a widescreen.  I checked the packing slip and it says "15.4 widescreen"!  How about that?:smileyvery-happy:

The Inspiron is not in my physical presence at the moment, but I will begin the adjustments first thing in the morning.  I now know why the scrensavers would not fit.  I also hope this works on those other windows (i.e. Windows Defender) that only opens in small screen.

I as a "Newbie" (of one year):smileywink: welome you to this community.  I noticed this is your first post.  I feel honored since it was to assist me. 

Thank you for taking the time to share this information.

God bless you,

Nissi1

Message Edited by Nissi1 on 06-14-2008 04:24 AM
No Events found!