Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

52 Posts

August 16th, 2007 16:00

Problems with touchpad/mouse

I have an Inspiron E1505.  It just turned 1 year old a couple weeks ago.  About a month, month and a half ago I started having problems with the touchpad/mouse clicker on my laptop.  I can still use the touchpad to move the mouse, but I can't click on anything.  At the time it started going wonky I did try to contact customer support but I had some problems doing that and I just didn't have time to keep trying, so I just went out and bought a usb mouse, and that worked fine.  Yesterday I started having problems with that (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't), but I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the mouse itself and not my usb ports because the other things I use it for (iPod, etc...) seem to be working just fine.  Rather than go out and by another cheap mouse that would just break again in a month I thought I should really see about getting the touchpad fixed. 

What I need to know is, where I have to send/take my computer to get it fixed, how long is it going to take (classes start in a week, I shouldn't need it right away, but I don't want to be without it too long), and how much is this kind of repair likely to cost me?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

2.9K Posts

August 16th, 2007 17:00

Have you tried reinstalling the touchpad driver? Unless there is a hardware failure, this most times solves the problem. Have a look here. Under Mouse & Keyboards, download and install the Synaptics driver.

52 Posts

August 16th, 2007 20:00

I tried what you suggested.  After restarting my computer the touchpad worked for about 2 clicks, and now it's back to not clicking.  And the mouse buttons didn't work at all.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to have it repaired.  *sigh*
No Events found!