Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 26th, 2013 04:00

Reinstall using Reinstallation DVD from Dell but now can't boot to DVD.

I have an XPS M1330 which I wanted to do a clean reboot as I need it as a reliable spare while Dell fix the ongoing issue with my Vostro. Being mildly obsessive, I still have all the old CDs and disks from the XPS so dug them out. I also checked on Dell site how to reinstall MediaDirect because I remembered it was a bit strange. That page is here http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&docid=DSN_321541 so I did that (selecting Option 1). I am now stuck at step 8,9, 10, 11,12 because the CD drive is now not a DVD drive. (It was when the OS was there because that has the DVD drivers. But now, having nuked the HDD with the partitioning done by MediaDirect, it is now only a CD drive not a DVD drive.)

I have confirmed this because the XPS WILL boot from a couple of bootable CDs I have and it WON'T boot from the reinstallation OS DVD. Since I have neither a universal "Undo" button nor a TARDIS, can anyone suggest a way I can get the OS onto my XPS?

1.5K Posts

April 29th, 2013 05:00

Hi MikeXPSVostro,

I hope the operating system is installed and sys is running properly. I also find it a bit strange that the original disk is not working with the system. it may happen due to scratches on disk and the optical drive not able to read the scratchy disk. This seems the only reason that a copied disk is working and original one is not, as the copied disk is new and without scratches.

Please feel free to reply for any further questions. I will be glad to assist.

April 26th, 2013 06:00

Aha! OK. I am about to say something I don't normally say to Dell which is you are right and I was wrong. I carefully cleaned the DVD with a soft cloth (gently gently, of course), restarted, F12 for the one-time boot menu and she is reinstalling right now. Thanks for your assistance.

It's Windows Vista Business 32 bit. This - and MediaDirect are the same as came with this computer originally. They are the original Dell discs for this PC. It will boot using the MediaDirect CD. It will also boot using another test CD I have (Hitachi HDD test CD). But it will not boot using the OS DVD. I think I've had this before where the boot process can't see the CD drive as a DVD drive until it has some drivers installed and you can't install the drivers until the OS has booted. Catch 22. I will try with the DVD once more.

1.5K Posts

Hi MikeXPSVostro,

Please share the operating system you are trying to install.

Installing Media Direct shouldn’t impact the working of DVD drive.

You may try installing Media Direct again on the system from the disk and then try to install OS from the DVD.

You may also try to boot from the resource DVD.

Please ensure there are no scratches on the operating system DVD.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist further.

April 26th, 2013 07:00

Odd problem. The Windows Installation procedure has got to Where do you want to install Windows, it has found Disk 0 Unallocated Space 47.0 MB, Disk 0 Partition 1 295GB with 294.9 GB Primary and Disk 0 Partition 2 MEDIADIRECT 3 GB Logical. I select the Primary and it says Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets is criteria for installation.

That's a new one on me. Any suggestions?

1.5K Posts

April 26th, 2013 07:00

Hi MikeXPSVostro,

It seems that the hard drive is not formatted properly.

I would suggest you to delete all the partitions except the Media Direct partition. Then create a new partition from the unallocated space.

You should be able to install Windows Vista on the new partition.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted with the findings. 

April 26th, 2013 08:00

Unfortunately we go one step back. I restarted the procedure with MediaDirect once more just to be 100% sure I follow every step correctly. MediaDirect boots, completes Option 1 OK. But now the OS DVD refuses to boot. Just like earlier. I check the DVD carefully and it does not appear to be badly scratched (a few marks, yes but OK).

I check the DVD in another PC and it is readable, full folder structure and it does AutoStart normally.

Perhaps the DVD is marginal so it works with one drive but not the other. Is it possible to get replacement media from Dell (I willl pay)? My alternative is to copy the DVD onto another DVD and hope the copy will be readable by the XPS.

Are there any other suggestions? Thanks.

April 26th, 2013 13:00

I checked the DVD in a 3rd PC and also perfectly readable. Just not in the XPS. So I use my Vostro to make a copy of the OS DVD (Roxio Burn as supplied with the Vostro). It is now working and installing Windows.

April 26th, 2013 15:00

And so far so good. Now I have to catch up with three years of WIndows Updates! The only thing I add for completeness, is that this time round there were only 2 partitions after MediaDirect install:  Disk 0 Partition 1 Primary and Disk 0 Partition 2 MEDIADIRECT Logical. Selected the Primary and away it went.

The interesting thing is that the original DVD could be read on 2 PCs but not the XPS and that a copy of the DVD worked fine in the XPS. Will now keep both DVDs carefully.

May 9th, 2013 14:00

Hallo Amogh, it took 4 or 5 days but eventually success. I am adding these comments in case it helps anyone else with similar issue. I think you are right in that the original DVD was some years old (obviously) and had been used. Although not heavily marked, it was clearly used and maybe this made it marginal with the XPS drive. Making a copy and using the unscratched DVD in the XPS worked fine. I had two further issues.

One was a couple of items in Device Manager which did not install properly and reported themselves as "Base System Device" with error indication. I had to look at the device ID and vendor ID and look them up at www.pcidatabase.com/index.php this found them as Ricoh card reader so I could find the driver and install and that worked.

The other was one of the Windows updates didn't work and that prevented the install of XPS Serviice Pack 1 which of course prevented all subsequent updates. This was very tiresome after downloading the updates several times, reinstalling from scratch a few times and even trying to install updates one at a time in date order. Eventually I downloaded from Microsoft the actual service pack: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330) and used that. This worked OK and then I could finish the rest of the updates including SP2 and the rest.

Anyhow, I now have my XPS back which I can use as a spare while Dell tries to fix my still-under-warranty Vostro which is slower than the XPS despite being Core i7 and having 6GB RAM!

Many thanks for your help, Mike

1.5K Posts

May 10th, 2013 11:00

Hi MikeXPSVostro,

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate your technical expertise and you have done an awesome job.

Please feel free to reply for any further questions. I will be glad to assist.

No Events found!