Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2011 21:00

The Slow Computer Pits :,(

I first decided to get help when i was unable to play world of  warcraft sucessfully. Its like im in slow motion when surfing the web and moving around on my computer, even when im typing she takes a few seconds to catch up with me .I have been on a long journey with this laptop and would really lovee it if im not forced to replace it. As we stand now im using windows 7 (not the orignal OS) and have these details..

Inspiron E1705 Laptop

Processor: intel(R)core(TM)2CPU 7200 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System Type: 32-bit Operating System

NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS

But as it stands now i cant play wow due to choppy framerates. I cant work well. And im about to buy a hole new computer if i ever save up enough money. 

The cpu is running at 80-100 percent.

Im gettting into a new business where i will be working from home using autocad. I want to be able to multitask wow &  Autocad 2012 And A few more complex programs. 

Am i forced to get a new computer or will i be able to save this one while i can? I  payed Mega bucks (I though this was a great computer at the time)..... A while back...

Any Advise is appriciated.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

July 20th, 2011 09:00

A few questions. Did performance suddenly deteriorate? If so ccleaner and defraggler may be able to help recover some performance (in the useful software link below).

Have you considered upgrading to 4 GB of RAM? (It can be purchased here). I have the Inspiron 6400/E1505 I guess the 15" version of your laptop. It probably like the E1705 has a maximum of 2 GB of RAM but you can install 4 GB and use 3.25 GB. (Very useful for running Vista/7).

How much space do you have free in your harddisc?

What drivers are you using in your Windows 7 installation? What Windows 7 are using 32 bit or 64 bit? Do you have both Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and Internet Explorer 9 installed?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 20th, 2011 11:00

There are several things you can try.

1st download and install the Directx June 2010 patch and extract to C:\DX90C

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) - Microsoft

then run c:\dx90c\dxsetup.exe

2nd Wow Cata has Huge requirements.

Unistall the old wow.

Install

GeForce Release 179

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_winvista_win7_179.48_beta.html

179.48_notebook_winvista_win7_32bit_beta.exe

Delete any residuals including any addons.

3rd  Download the new 4.xx full client  (About 38 megs)

Reinstall Wow clean.

Take a Day or so to stream download the full client (About 40 gigs)

When the Launcher says Wow is up to date  instead of Pressing the big PLAY button go to the options

and UN CHECK EVERY OPTION including peer to peer networking and Optimize for network speed.

Then Run Wow.

In the video options do Windowed mode with 800 x 600  resolution.

Drag the Slider Bar to LOW.

See if it runs.

Then with everything set to low increase the resolution to 1024 x 768 but no further.

Do CTRL R to see what your framerate is.

If your machine has too many dust bunnies in the heatsink the CPU will throttle down.

You may need to clean the heatsink fan and gpu/cpu cooler fins.

Make sure you download and install the WINDOWS VISTA Drivers for your Video card.

There WILL NOT BE ANY WIN7 drivers for your card because the GPU does not support WDDM 1.1

Make sure that the Theme Setting for windows 7 is BASIC with AERO OFF.

No Events found!