Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 8th, 2012 06:00

Trying to get Warcraft III to run but getting a directx error

I have a Dell XPS L502X with a NVIDIA GT 525M graphics card.  I have updated my graphics drivers with the latest ones from Dell.  When I try to launch the game I get an error saying that the game was unable to initialize Directx, and that I should make sure I have directx 8.1 or later installed.  Since I'm running Windows 7 and direct 11, I know it is more complicated than that.  From what I've gathered so far in my research is that I may need video drivers that are compatible with directx 7.  Any ideas?  I know its an old game but it is a classic.

Thanks,

Rich

2.4K Posts

November 9th, 2012 00:00

Also try:

Right click on Warcraft 3 icon and select properties.

Where is says Target  C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\Warcraft III.exe"

add -opengl

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\Warcraft III.exe" -opengl

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 8th, 2012 07:00

Hi Rich88,

I suggest that you download the DirectX from the given link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

This should resolve the issue.

5 Posts

November 8th, 2012 17:00

Well, I tried that, and it didn't work.  I checked and I have direct 9 dlls installed, but when I run dxdiag it still shows that I have directx 11.  I'm guessing this means that both are there?  Any other suggestions?

2.4K Posts

November 8th, 2012 22:00

Have you updated and installed all of the patches for WIII

2.4K Posts

November 8th, 2012 23:00

You may also try installing Directx 9 from here.

download.microsoft.com/.../directx_mar2009_redist.exe

2.4K Posts

What happens if you right click on the Warcraft III icon on your desktop and then click on properties. Click on the compatibility tab. And check the box for the compatability mode to XP. Apply and then run it.

5 Posts

Yes I have.

2.4K Posts

Its been a long time since I have used WIII, but when you run the install from the cd doesn't it have an option to install the directx required to run the program. If so see if you can install it and see what happens.

5 Posts

Good idea, but no dice...I ran the install, and it said it completed successfully but same error.

5 Posts

November 9th, 2012 06:00

Thanks for all the help!!!

1 Message

February 29th, 2016 22:00

Dear Sir..  i am also suffering errors with my Warcraft III which is same as your last guest.. i am following your conversations and sees your last solutions given. i tried to do same but when i go to warcraft III properties i cannot see any way to add the word -Opengl

No Events found!