Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

10 Posts

January 1st, 2004 16:00

USB type for Inspiron 2650

Is it possible to determine if my USB ports are 2.0 or 1.1, on the Inspiron 2650?

2.5K Posts

January 2nd, 2004 13:00

Pdoughty,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.
The following should help in figuring that out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Question:
How Do I Know if My Computer Has USB 2.0 or USB 1.1 Support?

Answer:
--Determining the USB Ports for Windows® 98/Me
Right-click the My Computer icon and select Properties.
Left-click the Device Manager tab of the window.
Left-click the plus (+) sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
If Enhanced Host Controller and/or USB 2.0 Root Hub Device is listed, then the computer has USB 2.0 ports.
If Universal Host Controller and/or Open Host Controller is listed, then the computer has USB 1.1 ports.
NOTE: If Universal Serial Bus Controllers is not listed, there is a problem with the USB controller or the USB controller is not enabled in the computer's BIOS.
Enter system setup and enable USB or reinstall the appropriate USB 2.0 hardware drivers.
Also not that for Windows XP you need SP1 installed in order for USB 2.0 to work properly.

--Determining the USB Ports for Windows® 2000/XP
Left-click the Device Manager icon.
NOTE: Windows XP users may need to click Start to access the My Computer icon.
Right-click the My Computer icon and select Manage.
Left-click the plus (+) sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
If Enhanced Host Controller and/or USB 2.0 Root Hub Device is listed, then the computer has USB 2.0 ports.
If Universal Host Controller and/or Open Host Controller is listed, then the computer has USB 1.1 ports.
NOTE: If Universal Serial Bus Controllers is not listed, there is a problem with the USB controller or the USB controller is not enabled in the computer's BIOS.
Enter system setup and enable USB or reinstall the appropriate USB 2.0 hardware drivers.
Also not that for Windows XP you need SP1 installed in order for USB 2.0 to work properly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

10 Posts

January 2nd, 2004 16:00

thank you.  But I don't understand your last statement.  "Also not that for Windows XP you need SP1 installed in order for USB 2.0 to work properly."   What does that mean?   I have XP so do I need SP1 installed?  and what is SP1? 

222 Posts

January 5th, 2004 04:00

USB 2.0 was released sometime early 2002, so most likely you have USB 2.0 there.

Regarding SP1, it means Service Pack 1. It carries a lot of updates, patches and fixes for the Windows XP operating system, as well as updated drivers for internal components such as the USB driver there. To answer your question: Yes, you need SP1 to make your USB 2.0 and your Windows XP work properly. Hope this helps. Peace!

2.5K Posts

January 6th, 2004 18:00

Pdoughty,

None of the system documentation states the USB ports are 2.0, which is usually an indication that you have USB 1.1 ports. You can also use the method I posted above to verify this, by looking in your device manager.

If the device manager has the following entry:
Universal Host Controller and/or Open Host Controller.
You have USB 1.1 ports.

If the device manager has the following entry:
Enhanced Host Controller and/or USB 2.0 Root Hub Device.
You have USB 2.0 ports.

1 Message

February 17th, 2004 01:00

I have been told my Dell Tech support that I have a 1.0 usb port.  I have had a difficult time attempting to use a 2.0 device on my 2650.  Dell sent me adaptec usb2 connect (Aua-1420), which was supposed to fix my problem. A tech work with me for 3 hours attempting to solve my problem.  My universal Serial Bus controllers have the following listed

Intel(R) 8280 ICA/CAM Universal Host Controler -2482

Intel (R) 8280  ICA/CAM Universal Host Controler -2484

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

The only result is that my Sony USB 2.0 256 MEG. Microvault Flash Key was rendered useless.

My service tag is 3B57621

Does anyone have an answer to this problem.  By the way my 2.0 Stick worked well in a 4 year old computer with a 1.1 USB port

No Events found!