Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2013 19:00

Vostro 1015 Audio Issue

When I reboot my Vostro 1015 laptop (using  Windows XP), there is no sound. If I put the computer into Standby and then come  out of Standby, suddenly the laptop speakers start working.. However, if I plug  in headphones, not only do I get  no sound from the headphones, but when I unplug them, the sound does  NOT return to the speakers. In order to get the speakers to work again, I need  to, once again, go into and then out of STANDBY.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

January 20th, 2013 19:00

Hi finelinegr,

Try updating below mentioned drivers on the computer. :

Audio:http://dell.to/Xrlth0

For Audio installation click on "Installation instructions" on the page.

BIOS: http://dell.to/OFrdzR

• During BIOS update verify that the computer is connected to an AC Adapter.
  • Disconnect any third party peripherals connected to the computer before performing BIOS update.
  • Do not turn off the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Do not restart the computer during the BIOS update. 

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working UPS before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.

Awaiting your response!

2 Posts

January 21st, 2013 12:00

Thanks for the suggestion. I have done both the BIOS update and the re-installation of the audio driver. Trouble and symptoms have not changed.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2013 23:00

Hi finelinegr,

I recommend, to run diagnostics on the computer. Restart the computer by holding the FN and Power button simultaneously. Check if the audio works during diagnostics.

Kindly private message the service tag, I would review your account and take the case forward.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!