Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2012 21:00

XPS Ultrabook Issue with Sleep

I just purchased an XPS 13 Ultrabook today and while I have enjoyed it so far, I've experienced some frustrations with the sleep functionality.  Notably, if I close the lid and then re-open it, sometimes it will automatically come out of sleep and other times I will have to press the power button.  And every once in a while it won't do anything at all no matter what I press; it will just stay in sleep mode until it decides it's time to wake up!  The sleep function is simply unreliable, and I have no clue why it functions properly part of the time and the rest it's got a mind of it's own.

Anyone else experiencing similar frustrations?

Edit - I should add that all of my power settings are on default.

10 Posts

June 5th, 2012 16:00

Hi JaimeLannister

Welcome to dell community

I really do apologies for the inconvenience caused. But you can try certain steps in order to resolve this issue.

1. Verify system  BIOS version  by going to start search  and type msinfo32
  2. Update the latest BIOS version A04 from support website follow the link : http://dell.to/J5GxIW3
  3. . You can try to change the setting in the power options for the sleep mode. By going to control panel ,under power options and click change settings: For detailed steps you can follow this link: http://dell.to/NFT9oh

4. Also update the latest video card drivers from the link: http://dell.to/NFT2Jr

Please let me know if this has fixed your concerns

Thank you

Sanam Singh

Certified Dell professionals

4 Posts

June 6th, 2012 00:00

We're having the same issue returning from sleep mode. The first time you hit the power button the keyboard liights up but the screen doesn't respond. If you hit it again the system shuts down but you get the Windoes Safe mode screen the next time you power up because it was not a clean shutdown.

I have the latest BIOS and Video drivers.
I've even completely re-imaged the machine with an Enterprise version of the OS. Same result.

We were thinking of using this model as a standard for our field sales team but the initial release seems very buggy.

10 Posts

June 7th, 2012 09:00

Hi rbastress

Welcome to Dell Community
 I see that you have tried re-imaging the pc and some other troubleshooting’s steps. You can try doing few more steps as follows:

1. Open the fast access interface from start>programs>fast access>configure fast access
  2. Click on the Power Smart tab and Uncheck the enable power smart
  3. Open power options, select change plan setting
  4. Click change advanced settings
  5. Click on the option that says “ power button or Lid” and select the option "do nothing "or "sleep" accordingly
    please let me know if this resolves the issue

Thank you

Sanam Singh

Certified Dell professionals

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 7th, 2012 10:00

RBastress,

The power settings control what happens when the lid is open/closed. I have the laptop in our home set to close the lid, do nothing. I do NOT like seeing the children carrying a laptop with it open in case they bump into something.

You can have the laptop sleep after a set period of time.

Usually when it comes out of sleep, sometimes they don't always want to connect.

Reimaging a machine, the drivers don't always get installed properly and you may have to install the drivers in the correct order. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 7th, 2012 11:00

RBastress,

Have heard from members that some images work and some don't. Not sure if installing the drivers in the correct order will work or not.

Fast Access, if it was purchased with the system, it can be downloaded from My Dell Downloads.

Using Internet Explorer, go to My Dell Downloads :: Login Use the same email address and password you used here. Click on add system. Your paid programs can be found there.

Rick

4 Posts

June 7th, 2012 11:00

Fast Access is only included in the OEM Windows install and not available for download from Dell. So my Enterprise image does not include that.

We always follow the driver install order when creating our images. The Latitudes work fine, this new XPS, not so much.

4 Posts

June 11th, 2012 12:00

So, I've installed Fast Access (thanks for the My Download tip) and disabled Power Smart, which in effect just gets me back to where I was. I've check the Lid close action and power button action, bother are set to sleep, but I'm still having the same issue. The screen will not wake when it's opened. If I hid the power button you can see the keys light up, but the screen does not. Very frustrating. We have a small batch of 10 on order but I'm thinking of sending them back.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 11th, 2012 13:00

RBastress,

I have asked someone to see if they can assist you.

Rick

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 14th, 2012 10:00

RBastress

If the XPS 13 has been set up for iRST from the factory, normal suspend features may not work.

What is Intel® Rapid Start Technology?

Rapid Start is a feature that provides power savings similar to Windows® hibernate state, while improving resume time vs. hibernate by ~2x. Rapid Start may be combined with Smart Response on some systems to enhance overall system performance while also reducing power consumption when not in use.

I don't know if you tested the system with the factory download or only after reimaging the drive.  There is a bios setting for Rapid Start and if the drive was reimaged but the BIOS wasn't changed it can certainly be causing these issues.   Start the system while tapping F2.  Once in the BIOS choose the advanced tab then near the bottom of the screen you should see Intel Smart Connect and Rapid Start Technologies settings.  If you want standard Windows Hibernate / Sleep function I suggest choosing disabled for both.

If you do wish to have Smart Connect and Rapid Start on the system check out the Dell White Paper.

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/direct2dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2012/04/13/dell-whitepaper-intel-responsiveness-technologies-setup-guide.aspx

One thing to be aware of, currently the system doesn''t support both TPM (Trusted Platform Moduel) and iRST and if you have TPM enabled that could also be the issue.  Engineering is aware of the issue and they are currently working on a BIOS revision that will support both features.

Please let me know if this helps.

TB

4 Posts

June 19th, 2012 11:00

YES! I disabled iRST, issue resolved.

Now that I know the culprit I'll checkout the white paper to see if I can get it to play nicely.

Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 19th, 2012 11:00

I am glad that I was able to point you out in the right direction.  The whitepaper does include instructions on preparing the notebook for iRST.  Please let me know how it turns out.

TB

2 Posts

June 24th, 2012 10:00

I'm confused by this post to another XPS 13 Ultrabook owner to upgrade BIOS to A04 from support site.  When I click on the "find applicable drivers and downloads" no BIOS updates appear - not "optional", nor "recommended".  

Is that BIOS only to fix sleep issues - of which I have not reported, but do not use because I use an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and cannot wake-up the system without opening the laptop and even then sometimes it will not wake up so I never use sleep any more.

1 Message

October 17th, 2012 09:00

I am having the same issue, the battery simply does not sleep, computer does, but whn I return the battery has died. I get the Windows Safe mode screen the next time I power up because it was not a clean shutdown.

HELP

5 Posts

December 14th, 2012 07:00

Any additional information on this topic?  I have an XPS14 ultrabook.  I did a clean Win 7 install.  I have power settings to sleep when I close the lid.  When I close lid, the little light on the front of the computer slowly flashes.  It seems to never stop - that cant be correct???  Then when I open the lid, the keyboard backlight illuminates, but the computer doesnt come to life.  I have to hit the power button to get anything going again.

Any ideas?

TIA

1 Message

December 20th, 2012 10:00

Second that... another XPS 14 ultrabook user experiencing the same issued described in this thread.  I received my XPS 14 during the first week of Dec, experienced the issue with the Dell build, then I slicked it with a clean Windows 8 install, upgraded/installed drivers (in correct order... I think), but am still experiencing the Sleep issue described above.  No errors/issues identified in the Windows Event Logs.  At a loss, but plan to review the white paper linked above to troubleshoot further.

Dell, Is there a Known Problem associated with the apparent conflict between BIOS versions, Intel RST, etc?  What are the official Dell workarounds and resolutions?  Please help.

fam3

No Events found!