Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2013 19:00

dell inspiron 15 r se 7520

Hi,

Just looking for some help if someone could be so kind.  Bought this last week but only opened today.  Reasonably happy with it at first, but have been becoming more and more aware and annoyed by a constant buzzing noise.  It wasnt until the last half hour that i saw that the buzzing noise correlated with one of the LED lights at the front.  Oddly the LED light isnt named on the quick start diagram.  One is certianly the power light and number 13 is battery status light and 14. wireless status light.  I may have it wrong but from googling i think it could be the hard disk led.  Its not overly audible but certainly enough to reallying bother me.  I expect fan noise, but this surging buzz noise is intolerable.  Any suggestions? and can someone confirm if it is indeed the hard disk LED

from left to right it goes:

Power LED    (unknown - ? hard disk LED)  Battery staus LED  Wireless status .

Really appreciate some help on this as its soured my experience with it .  

Thank you very much :)

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

July 1st, 2013 20:00

Hi minus28,

It is unfortunate that the computer is having buzzing noise. Request you refer the below picture and let me know if the 2nd light glows:

If the buzzing sound comes when the 2nd light that is glowing then it means the computer is trying to access the data on the hard drive and it is normal. Also let me know from where you hear the sound.

However if the sound is very loud you may try following the below steps also:

(1) Check if there is a disc in the DVD drive (as this might cause noise).

(2) Clean the air vents with a can of compressed air.

(3) Make sure the computer is kept on a flat surface.

Also you may use the below link and update BIOS:

http://dell.to/17Q2KXn

If you have any other questions do reply to the same thread.

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2013 02:00

I have the up to date BIOS in place - A09.  Was hoping that would be the solution.  Any other suggestions?

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2013 02:00

Hi Kiran,  thanks for taking the time to reply.  Yes its the hard drive activity LED.  I think the sound is coming from the middle of the bottom of the laptop.  Very annoying and not what I would have expected or experienced on any other laptop.  I will try the steps you suggest.  Thank you

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

July 3rd, 2013 01:00

Hi minus28,

Request you to send me the system service tag via private message. I will check and see what can be done.

To send a private message, click on my user name and select start conversation.

22 Posts

August 29th, 2013 01:00

Hello all.

I just bought this system around four months ago and now due to damage in RAM, I got the RAM replaced. Before replacement, the maximum supported memory was 16 GB (8GB * 2 slots). However, after replacement of RAM, now the system information shows that maximum supported memory is only 8 GB. Is there any major issue here ? 

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

August 29th, 2013 03:00

Hi Digesh,

Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 has two internally-accessible DDR3 SODIMM sockets. It uses 1333 MHz DDR3 for Sandy Bridge Processors and 1600 SODIMM DDR3 for Ivy Bridge Processors. The maximum memory this model supports is 8GB. I am not sure how 16GB was being run on this system, you may want to send me the system service tag via private message. I will then check what memory the computer was shipped with.

To send a private message, click on my user name and select start conversation

22 Posts

August 29th, 2013 04:00

I have 8GB RAM installed currently (4GB *2 slots). Before my RAM was replaced, the system information showed that maximum memory that could be supported was 16GB. But after my detective RAM was replaced, now it is showing only 8GB as maximum supported memory.

No Events found!