Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

I

12 Posts

March 20th, 2006 07:00

inspiron 5100 boot problems please help

Hi, I have an inspiron 5100 and having problems, laptop won't boot sometimes, when i reseat memory it will boot and work until the laptop is moved then freezes, and will not turn on again.
When i turn it on nothing comes on the screen just Caps lock blinks 10 times then turns off.
I noticed DIMM A Is not functioning ram slot. Contacts on both slots are straight, not broken and not touching. Memory contacts are clean.
It works when i reseat memory almost everytime but when the laptop is moved even slightly it will freeze and have to do process over again.
When i got the computer to boot, i ran DellDiag and it passed all test with no errors
Mem86 ran for 2 hours no Errors.
Tried new memory, same problem.
I pretty much tried everything, a new motherboard is too expensive and not worth it for this machine.
The laptop had some overheating problems in the past, all corrected now. FanGUI Reads between 110-120 F.
Hopefully someone has a solution or suggestion for me other then buy a new board.
Please any suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks for your time and help.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 20th, 2006 10:00

You can try www.aqstech.com for a board level repair, but I don't recall they work on the 5100. If not, you need a new mainboard.

March 25th, 2006 14:00

I have the same problem have you found the solution yet?

12 Posts

March 26th, 2006 03:00

no solution, i am very upset about it. It was a great laptop.

looking on ebay for a motherboard but all seem too expensive not worth it.

If anyone has a solution to this problem please help! It seems to be a common problem with these systems.

No Events found!