Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2010 08:00

latitude d420 lost start menu and toolbar suddenly

hi,

I have a 3 year old laptop d420 latitude (windows XP SP3) that worked great until a week ago.  I noticed that when I started it up, it took 10 minutes to load windows. Then I noticed that my start menu and toolbar disappeared. I had AVG running on it and also ZoneAlarm.  Does this sound like a hardware issue?  I am running diagnostics on it right now.

Should I go ahead and try to run a Repair of XP on it? 

thanks

95 Posts

January 7th, 2010 09:00

It seems to be more Software than Hardware. Before repairing windows why don't you try a System Restore back to a week ago. Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. From the System Restore window click restore to an earlier date and from the calendar choose a date in bold back when it was working. It will reboot with that config.

Hope it help.

12 Posts

January 7th, 2010 10:00

on one of the diagnostics tests I ran it came up with 'unable to stop non-boot processors'. 5800:3022.  I looked it up and it says it is a motherboard problem.

This doesn't sound good.

1 Attachment

12 Posts

January 7th, 2010 10:00

Hi,

Because I have no start menu available, I followed the instructions here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449 , in order to do that, but I got a command prompt telling me something like "it's not safe to do this".  I tried a couple of times with the same message.   What do you think?

No Events found!