Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

May 6th, 2010 00:00

"sticky" trackpoint on E6410

Hi, i have just received my Lattitude E6410 laptop, the trackpad works just fine, but the trackpoint stick is randomly  "hanging" for a sec., so whenever i want to use it, or is using it, it sticks for a small second.

It is quiet annoying!.

I´m running with the preload and have also tried new drivers, didnt change a thing.

How do i solve this issue?

1 Message

May 26th, 2010 13:00

Hello,

I ran into this same problem updating our laptop image for the Latitude E6410.

In the Dell Trackpad software under Touchpad Settings adjust "Touch Sensitivity" towards Light Touch (I moved ours to the 3rd tick from the left). If you move it towards Heavy Touch it becomes more and more unusable.

Hope that helps!

-Michael

1 Message

June 24th, 2010 08:00

I am having the same issue with my Dell Latitude E6410 (XP SP3). However, my issue is not limited only to the trackpad, but my pointer also "skips" on the screen when using an external USB mice. It is not as bad as the touchpad when the laptop boots up (it's worst at boot-up, but still does it while working in windows), but it still skips.

I also noticed the skipping seems to be synchronized with the hard-drive loading (a little screaching sound from the HD will have the mouse skip). But this is not confirmed since it's not always doing it...

My configuration is :

Dell Latitude E6410
Windows XP SP3
All updated drivers from Dell Website
Replaced default HD with a Seagate Momentus 5400 FDE.2 Encrypted hardrive

I would investigate Storage Drivers + Video Drivers + TouchPad drivers altogether.

Thanks,
Joey

June 25th, 2010 05:00

Turn off the 'click to tap' feature in the pointing stick's settings.

June 25th, 2010 05:00

Hello,

It's a result of a collision between the keyboard and the trackpoint. For some reason if you turn off the 'tap to click' feature the issue seems to get solved.

1 Message

August 5th, 2010 13:00

Great tip totally fixed my problem.

2 Posts

September 12th, 2010 17:00

I have this sticky trackpoint problem aswell on my E6410.

Unfortunately the tip above did not solve my problem. The trackpoint is "sticky" only when the Dell touchpad drivers are installed. With Windows default drivers there is no such problem. Unfortunately one cannot turn off the touchpad with windows drivers nor adjust the trackpoints sensitivity. This means that I constantly touch the touchpad unintentionally and do false clicks, unintended cursor movements etc. It is very annoying. Just as the sticky trackpoint with dell drivers. The computer is practically unusable without an external mouse.

Can anyone help?

3 Posts

September 12th, 2010 23:00

Hi

I have seen this on more E6410's along with some other unexplainable errors.

The only thing that helped me for sure, was to reinstall, NOT using the Dell image, you need to do a clean install.

I'm sorry that i can't tell you more specific what the problem is, but it solved the issue (along with some other crazy errors)

"The trackpoint is "sticky" only when the Dell touchpad drivers are installed. With Windows default drivers there is no such problem"

The Dell driver was not the reason for my sticky trackpoint, I installed the driver after the clean Windows install, and the trackpoint did'nt get sticky.

2 Posts

September 13th, 2010 16:00

Thank  you for your answer, but I have already tried this and no success. Tho, I installed a bunch of other dell drivers and some utilities before I tried the dell touchpad driver again. Could it be that some of those previously installed drivers cause the dell touchpad driver to malfunction?

November 3rd, 2010 19:00

Hello,

I ran into this same problem updating our laptop image for the Latitude E6410.

In the Dell Trackpad software under Touchpad Settings adjust "Touch Sensitivity" towards Light Touch (I moved ours to the 3rd tick from the left). If you move it towards Heavy Touch it becomes more and more unusable.

Hope that helps!

-Michael

Thanks for your instruction! It is just the solution for my problem.

1 Message

July 20th, 2011 16:00

Same problem with my new E6410, sticky trackpoint stick . more worst if ever i install a usb device such as external HDD .Problem still not yet solve.

1 Message

September 9th, 2011 17:00

I use my 6410 with an XP and a Win7 drive (work and personal - I swap as needed).

The XP system has all sorts of problems with the pointer and trackpad - also sound drivers. Doesn't matter what I've tried, nothing helps.

The Win7 one gives no trouble at all.

My conclusion is that there's some kind of hardware/driver mismatch with XP.

Hope this helps someone.........................

17 Posts

November 7th, 2011 13:00

There is a new Dell driver released on 24 October 2011 version A10 which has resolved the issue for me in Win 7 Pro.

4 Posts

November 25th, 2011 08:00

Where is this A10 touchpad driver ??

In the Dell site there's only A9.

Can you put the link ?

1 Message

December 2nd, 2011 13:00

I had the same problem.  I went back to the Dell website - Drivers and Downloads - then under the, "Input" section, where you see the A09 driver.... click where it says, "click here for different format." 

Once you do, the first link is a .EXE formatted link.... click that and download, then reboot the PC.  (it seemed to take almost 10 minutes.... now my scroll works and doesn't seem to be moving on its own now. 

Good luck.

Steven.

1 Message

May 9th, 2012 19:00

Hi, i have just received my Lattitude E6410 laptop and my Service Tag# <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> , the trackpad works just fine, but the trackpoint stick is randomly  "hanging" for a sec., so whenever i want to use it, or is using it, it sticks for a small second.

It is quiet annoying!.

I´m running with the preload and have also tried new drivers, didnt change a thing.

How do i solve this issue?

No Events found!