Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 6th, 2011 05:00

W2K3: Rescan disks does not show newly added san devices

Hi all,

I am a bit out of options right now. I have a windows 2003 x64 host with 17 san devices (DMX4-950) with in total 8.1TB of storage, devided over drive letters F:\ till R:\. The customer has requested an additional 54GB of storage to be added to this system. So I build a meta, mapped it to the same FA ports as the other devices and masked it to the host. All is done ECC 6.1UB9.

Under Disk Management I selected, Action, Rescan disks.

Nothing.  No new disks.

Here is what I done so far;

Check to see the mapping and masing are right.

Check zoning to be sure, although other devices from the same symmetrix are visible

Check NR RW flag on the device.

Rebooted the hosts

Ran emcgrab and send it to e-lab advisor. There some recommendation, but not as big that it could cause this.

Just to be sure, Meta members are not seen by the host, only meta heads?

Anyone ideas on why these new disks are not seen the host?

Host environment:

HP blade with dual core AMD

Windows 2003 Ent. x64 SP2

QLA2300, Hp rebranded; EMCgrab reports to upgrade to a newer firmware. changing timeout settings and set a higher number of lun per target (now: 128)

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 6th, 2011 06:00

if you convert those numbers from hex to decimal, you will see that they are > 256 (Windows limit). Unless you are using dynamic lun masking, this box will not see those devices.

18 Posts

@SKT, The article you state is voor Windows Server 2008 and up.

@Dynamox. These are the adresses on the FA ports.

Schermafbeelding 2011-10-06 om 15.14.25.png

Edit: I also tried to build a second meta (F0A) and tried to make it visible to the host. Same result.

2 Intern

• 

1.3K Posts

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

what address on the FA those devices were assigned ? Are you using dynamic lun masking ? If devices were assigned to FA address higher than FF ..windows will not see those devices.

18 Posts

October 6th, 2011 07:00

Yes. This was it. Thanks for thinking with me.

No Events found!