Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 14th, 2014 00:00

Problem building XPS 9333 with USB ethernet

Hi All,

I'm having an issue with OSD on the XPS 13 9333. I can PXE boot the device and install the OS I also applied all the drivers from the driver CAB on the DELL website (http://en.community....ent/w/wiki/2065). 

The problem I have is after the task sequence installs the OS and drivers it reboot to windows 7, once it reboots the USB ethernet is no longer installed so the task sequence fails.

I'm using a Dell fm76n usb ethernet device for the network and I've create a driver package to install the driver that came with the device however it still will not build please help

October 25th, 2014 07:00

SOLVED:

The issue appeared to be related to the "PCI bus" driver. When I removed this form the driver package my OSD task sequence completed without any issues

Regards

Robert

1 Message

October 21st, 2014 03:00

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. This was the first time I tried windows 7 on this model of Dell. 

The XPS 13 9333 was apparently running OK with Win 8.1: except for the need to add the .NET 3.5 Framework via Windows features. When attempting to install this, in all manner of different ways (alternative MS suggestions) it fails. This is usually due to a reported network issue, but even using the command line via a DVD fails at about the same stage into it (cannot find source files after about 66% of finding source files).

.NET 3.5 framework windows feature install, works fine on other Windows 8.1 PCs (there isn't a downloadable package for Windows 8.1!)

So a solution to get .NET 3.5 was to downgrade to Windows 7 (for the moment). However I get exactly the same problems as RPOLLOCK1980 described.

Not sure if this is a laptop issue, or the USB Ethernet adapter (fm76n - same as RPOLLOCK1980), thought another USB ethernet adapter also fails with .NET install.

Interestingly when installing the .NET (and at some other times, with the apparently working Win 8.1 install) the USB disconnection noise comes up several times co-incident with network dropping (with or without wireless on).

The .NET 3.5 issue was for an older bit of software. Yes, from our point of view, other solution are

1: use a win 8.1 box that can get .NET 3.5

2: get the latest software that works on Win 8.1 as is (.NET 4)

Whilst I'll be going with one of other solutions to my problem, I would definitely want to know should the windows 7 issue be resolved.

No Events found!