Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

3 Posts

January 5th, 2019 07:00

Audio problem with Inspiron 3847 and upgraded Win10 OS

I have had my desktop for about 4 years and until recently it worked perfectly.A few months ago i started experiencing periodic static in the sound while playing music mostly. I had purchased a  good Sony wireless bluetooth speaker which seems to be about the time the problem started. I use a Samsung 32 in smart tv as my PC monitor and thought that might be source of the problem. Since then i have systematically tried several other brands of wireless speakers, two usb connected types of speakers, the internal Samsung audio speaker and they all generate the same static problem.

I have also run all kiinds of utilities to find a problem including updating the drivers, checking the device mgr...no problems shown, and ran the Sound troubleshooter. Finally the Sound troubleshooter gave me a yellow triangle and said the GENERIC AUDIO DRIVER IS MISSING.Since then i have tried every way i know but cant find anywhere that i can download a generic audio driver. I have gone to Realtek and uninstalled and reinstalled their HD Sound driver which is working properly. I have no idea how to find a "generic audio driver" but i assume this problem is causing the constant static and/or buzzing problem i have going on. I have run out of options to try....i even checked to make sure i have latest version of BIOS...no problem.

I hate to resort to using one of the websites which check and update all out of date drivers ..it isnt the cost so much as not being sure that will solve my problem. I ran a couple of trial versions of Driver software sites and none really listed any sound driver as being out of date ...just like my system confirms no audio driver out of date. 

Im wondering if reinstalling my OS which i upgraded from 8.1 with free download would solve my problem. Because i have tried so many different speakers, bluetooth and usb powered and the problem remains the same, the issue has to be in my system, especially since the Sound Troubleshooter identified a missing generic audio driver. 

If anyone has any ideas for how to solve this problem i would appreciate hearing them. Thanks. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 5th, 2019 08:00

You do not what the "generic driver" which is the Windows installed basic function sound driver.  If you have Realtek, use that. 

Static in audio was a big problem in Win 7 and 8/8.1 but we see very few problems in Win 10.

There's no "one fix" for the problem except wi-fi is a known cause. Possibly Bluetooth since the problems apparently started around the time you started using it.  Disable the Bluetooth in the Device Manager and see if that makes a difference.

Run the free Resplendence Latency Mon program and that may point to your problem. Keep us posted.

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 5th, 2019 15:00

Generic Driver should not be used.  Windows borks this after every feature update. The solution is to REMOVE ANY DRIVERS and reinstall the OEM driver.

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03082727M/1/Audio_Driver_GH16Y_WN32_6.0.1.7509_A00.EXE

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/inspiron-3847-desktop.html

There are specific versions for 7 or 8 or 10

DescriptionVersionSupported OSDownload
RealTek ALC3600/3661 High-Definition Audio Driver
This package provides the driver for RealTek ALC3600/3661 High-Definition Audio and is supported on the Inspiron 3000/3646/20 Model 3048 Series and Vostro 280/3800/3900/3900G/3902/3015 Series running the following Windows operating systems: Windows 10More details
6.0.1.7509WT64A
Realtek High-Definition Audio Driver
This package provides the driver for the Realtek High-Definition Audio and is supported on the Inspiron 3000 Series running the following Windows operating systems: Windows 8.1More details
6.0.1.7016W8 64A
Realtek High-Definition Audio Driver
This package provides the driver for the Realtek High-Definition Audio and is supported on the Inspiron 3000 Series running the following Windows operating systems: Windows 7More details
6.0.1.7004Windows 7 64-bit
No Events found!