Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 14th, 2018 10:00

Dell Inspiron 570 - No Display, Solid White Power Button, Known Working Parts

Hi! I've got a Dell Inspiron 570 on my hands which started getting caught in a boot loop, then stopped working altogether.

I suspected a power supply issue exacerbated by severe issues with dust & therefore also heat which damaged several components (visibly).

For a long time it was showing solid orange when powered on, but all fans were working & mouse/keyboard lighting up, hard drive audibly working etc..

Once all affected parts were replaced with known working parts, this changed to solid white - but I still get no display signal to my monitors.

Here is what I've done so far:

1. Clear CMOS
  2. Replace/upgrade power supply unit
  3. Replace CPU (same but in better condition & known working)
  4. Replace Motherboard (same but in better condition & known working)
  5. Remove/Replace RAM (tried both taking it down to 1 known working stick and using the rest of the RAM (tested, working elsewhere) in combinations)
  6. Add small cheap Graphics Card to test if new Motherboard display ports faulty.
  7. Unplug and power off CD tray. (No longer opens, so not useful to me)
  8. Try DVI-D to HDMI cable - from & to all possible port combinations in two different known working monitors
  9. Try HDMI cable - two different known working monitors, from both HDMI ports with & without graphics card.
  10. Ensuring all PSU connections are firm, ensuring FP1 connection is firm.

Here's what I've got in terms of parts currently installed, bearing in mind I've tested all combinations of the RAM and got nothing:

1. AMD Athlon II X4 640 CPU - new, tested/known working
  2. Stock CPU cooler - known working
  3. AM3 socket motherboard (refurbished Dell Inspiron 570) - new, tested/known working
  4. GT 710 2GB GDDR5 graphics card - new, tested/known working
  5. 3 sticks of 1GB RAM - old, tested/known working
  6. 1 stick of 4GB RAM - old, tested/known working
  7. EVGA 500B Power Supply - new, tested/known working, also tried with a tested/known working Corsair VS 350W Power Supply
  8. Dell Inspiron 570 original case, stock case fan - front panel has never been in a functional system. Front USB input seems dodge, CD drive does not open (also doesn't have an eject button, are you supposed to just push it to eject? That doesn't work either)
  9. HDMI cables, DVI-D cables etc. - tested/known working
  10. 500GB Seagate HDD - old, tested/known working

I'm worried that I now need to replace the front panel, which would effectively make it a wholly new computer a la Trigger's Broom/ship of Theseus. 

Is there anything else I could try first? Any laughably obvious suggestions that I could have missed?

Thanks for any advice!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 14th, 2018 11:00

Can't you keep the Front Panel disconnected, and start the motherboard with a "jump start" or simple switch from a different desktop computer. That would effectively "remove it from equation".

This is a good one.

Sometimes, you just test the motherboard outside the case on the bench.

If this still gets you nowhere, then probably
- One of those "tested/known working" parts is actually bad after-all
- You have a parts mis-match or compatibility issue

Then you have to ask yourself ... it's the Inspiron case or whole computer worth all this time? :Smile:

2 Posts

April 14th, 2018 14:00

Thanks!

Sounds like a good idea regarding the jump start. I was under the impression that you couldn't use another power switch with the Dell Inspiron 570 motherboard, but I can give it a go.

I will test the motherboard outside the case too. Possibly it's standoffs in the wrong location, although if that's the case I would not have expected any signs of life at all. I'll try both together with a standalone switch.

The parts definitely work - I've tested them before and after the attempt to fix - and _should_ be compatible, although it won't hurt me to research for edge cases.

I'm really confused by this because a solid white light should theoretically indicate that all is well.

For your last question - yes definitely. The whole thing is worth something like 120 quid in parts, which is a lot of money. It's a good process to learn more about hardware and get to use some less common hardware & try and negotiate proprietary hardware restrictions in practice. Plus, the fix is not for me, it's for my parents-in-law, so it's obviously very important I get it fixed :)

If it becomes necessary I'll break out my soldering iron...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 14th, 2018 15:00

@MymmiJwrote:

1. I was under the impression that you couldn't use another power switch with the Dell Inspiron 570 motherboard, but I can give it a go.

2. Possibly it's standoffs in the wrong location, although if that's the case I would not have expected any signs of life at all. I'll try both together with a standalone switch.

3. It's a good process to learn more about hardware and get to use some less common hardware & try and negotiate proprietary hardware restrictions in practice. Plus, the fix is not for me, it's for my parents-in-law, so it's obviously very important I get it fixed :)

4. If it becomes necessary I'll break out my soldering iron...

1. Most motherboards have 2 pins on main-header. Tap those or use DPST switch.

2. On (non-conductive) cardboard works for me. :Smile:

3. Sure, it's a challenging puzzle.

4. Now yer-talkin. :Yes:

No Events found!