Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

X

April 18th, 2018 03:00

Dimension 9150, graphics card problem, I think

Hi, the problem so far. This morning I started my PC as normal, an old Dell with NVIDIA 7900GS card. The splash screen shows up fine but once Windows loads, nothing, the screen goes black. I can hear (and see when I open the unit up) that the PC is running well, but no signal arrives to the monitor.

So I started the PC in Safe Mode - restored to another configuration etc etc - but to no avail.

I start the PC in VGA mode and it works well. From there I uninstall the graphics driver and when I restart, the PC works perfectly (after reinstalling the drivers automatically). However, restarting the computer leaves me back at square one - a black screen.

Now I'm guessing that it's probably the GPU ... but I want some sort of verification or solution if possible.  

Thank you.

April 18th, 2018 07:00

Thank you for your answer. My PC is a DIMENSION 9150 - predecessor of the XPS desktops and probably about 13 years old. I believe the NVIDIA GS 7900 IS PCI express, so am I correct in assuming that I can just swap it out with another graphics card? Thanks again!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 18th, 2018 07:00

That does sound like a video card failure.  When you first power on the PC, the Video card (all video cards) start in a basic VGA mode.  Only when Windows starts and loads the driver does it switch to a higher video level mode.  Since its not doing that, it suggests a logic problem on the card. If it was mine, I would be looking for a new video card.

You didn't not the Dell model, except "old Dell" so I can't suggest anything specific.  Depends on the model and power supply, what it will support. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 18th, 2018 09:00

I had one of the same era, a Dimension E510/5150.

You can't use just "any" new graphics card.  You are limited to older PCIe cards and those that do not require a PCIe power connector.  The power supply is rated at 375 watts.

A "low power" PCIe video card is probably best.  

Here is a used, guaranteed, video card that I found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003DR1AN8

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 18th, 2018 10:00

@xiuxiuejar22wrote:

I am aware I have to find something backwards compatible to PCI 1.1. 

Of course.

However, according to reports here ... I think your second biggest hurdle will be finding a video card that is compatible with an older non-UEFI-based system (especially if looking at new ones).

April 18th, 2018 10:00

Thanks again. I just want something simple to connect the monitor and projector and I've seen some cheap passive PCIe GPUs. I am aware I have to find something backwards compatible to PCI 1.1. 

April 18th, 2018 11:00

Taking into consideration my geographical location in Europe, and the fact that I will be doing absolutely no gaming, I was just going to try something super light like the Gigabyte GT210 or GT710. They have HDMI and DVI outputs. What worries me most to be honest is Windows XP drivers as I am still on the original Windows. I would appreciate ANY advice. Thank you.

No Events found!