Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 13th, 2018 12:00

Display problems only with new PC

I have a new Inspiron 3662 desktop PC with Intel HD graphics, and with the latest W10 update v.1803. Whilst setting it up I had it connected to a new Dell monitor via VGA with no problems. When changing to a different monitor (an Acer), also via VGA, the screen would randomly go black for a second or so. This would happen with any application/video/browser. However, the Acer monitor worked fine when previously connected to an older Dell PC.

I then connected the new PC and Acer monitor (my preferred choice as it is larger) using an HDMI to DVI-D cable. (The Acer only has the choice of VGA or DVI-D, the PC has VGA & HDMI). Now instead of randomly going black, it flickers occasionally. I have the latest drivers available installed on both the PC & monitor, and all other software is up to date. I am now at a loss about what to do next.

The only other thing that crossed my mind is that the new PC is powered with an external adapter rather than an internal PSU, and that maybe there’s a grounding issue.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 14th, 2018 10:00

Since this is a new PC, you probably should contact Dell Tech Support for assistance.

Have your Service Tag handy when you call them.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 14th, 2018 21:00

DisplayPort or DVI is preferred. Something like DVI-to-DVI is best (straight-thru, no adapters).

Its been a while, but I think HDMI-to-DVI is OK also. IIRC, the core video signal (without everything else in HDMI spec) is same as DVI-video.

Are you running all monitors at their Full (recommended) resolution?

Sounds like the Acer doesn't like the signal ... if the resolution is good maybe the Hz is strange? I think 60Hz is fairly normal.

No Events found!