Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

1 Message

September 21st, 2022 14:00

How to install linux on G5 5000? It's unusually difficult!

Hi

I'm trying to install linux on my computer. I've already done so on other computers but none of them were that modern. I struggled a bit with my Manjaro live usb stick until I tried to boot using proprietary drivers, which worked. So there I am, Manjaro desktop running from my usb stick. I try to lanch the installer and a error is raised: no partition is found.

FYI, I've got secure boot disabled but RAID feature still enabled — I read somewhere that it should work when disabled but will most certainly erase everything. Tried it though, but could not boot on anything until tried to boot normaly then my PC offered to repair – which worked without data loss (I saved my data beforehand anyway).

I'm confused about how it should be done with this PC… I never encountered such complexity when installing linux.

How should I process?

1 Rookie

• 

403 Posts

September 21st, 2022 18:00

I think you may have trouble installing Linux with RAID switched on. I believe you need a driver for Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) loaded in order to access any drives, including at install time. This is certainly the case for Windows; I tried booting Windows PE-based Macrium Rescue soon after I took delivery of my Vostro system, and I had to load the RST driver before I could image my SSD. I think you'll make better progress switching off RAID in BIOS.

162 Posts

September 26th, 2022 00:00

Set up the Ubuntu Install
Insert the Ubuntu disk into your DVD drive or connect your bootable USB into a port on the computer.

Tap rapidly on the F12 key when the Dell logo appears during startup. This takes you to the Boot Once menu.

You can use the Cursor or Arrow keys to navigate the menu and select your choice. You can choose to either boot from USB or Boot from CD/DVD Drive. Once your Choice is highlighted, press the ENTER key.

When the computer reboots, choose the Try Ubuntu option. This option checks whether Ubuntu can see your hardware.

When you are ready to proceed, click the Install Ubuntu button. The install wizard should appear and prompt you through some choices.

Select your install language and click Continue.

The Keyboard layout window appears. Select the correct keyboard layout for your computer and click Continue.

Note: If you are unsure what your layout is, you can now select the Detect Keyboard Layout button for help.
The Preparing to install Ubuntu window appears. Choose the applicable options and click Continue.

Note: We recommend that during the install you have both a wired network connector and a power cable plugged in.

Install Ubuntu on your computer
If you do not have a wired connection plugged in, the install takes you through setting up a Wireless Wi-Fi connection.

The Installation type window appears. Several options are available.

If you want to Dual Boot install Ubuntu alongside other operating systems, read the guide below before you select the Something Else Option:

Installing Ubuntu and Windows as a Dual Boot on your Dell PC

If you want to install Ubuntu over your entire hard drive, click Erase disk and install Ubuntu. Then select the hard drive that you want to install Ubuntu onto and go to step 3.

Note: This action erases all data and systems that are on the disk.
If you want to manually set up various custom partitions on the hard drive, see the guide below before you select the Something Else option:

Creating multiple custom partitions during an Ubuntu Install

Click Install Now. From this point onward, you cannot cancel the installation.

Configuring the Ubuntu install
Next, you need to set up a few configuration settings, starting with the Where are you? window.

Select your location from the options on the map or type it into the text box and click Continue.

Enter your personal information into the Who are you? window.

While the operating system is installing, the screen scrolls through screenshots that gives you further information about Ubuntu.

Resolution
Install complete
When the install wizard finishes, the Installation complete message window appears. Click Restart Now to restart your computer.

Ubuntu is now installed. See the article Configuring Ubuntu on your Dell PC for initial setup advice.'

Greeting,

Rachel Gomez

No Events found!