Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

September 11th, 2018 01:00

Inspiron 3670, GT 1030 upgrade, BIOS setting?

Hello,

I like to add a dedicated GPU (MSI GeForce GT 1030 AERO ITX 2G OC 2GB GDDR5) to the Inspiron 3670. It should be no problem with only 35W consumption (PSU etc.) I read in the internet that I need to disable "secure boot" in the BIOS in order to make it work properly on a Dell computer. Is this necessary for installing this card on the Inspiron 3670? Anything else I have to change in the BIOS? What about Legacy ROM option (which cannot be enabled without disabling PTT)?

Thank you and best regards,
Rod9999

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 3rd, 2019 06:00

PC from 2012 or later with UEFI Secure Boot enabled, the system may not boot or post or show anything on the screen.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156/

Card from Dell OEM ECS 8CCF1 GeForce GT 1030   does not have any issues. DELL GT1030  OEM version also has no fan its passive cooling.

Vostro 3660/3667/3668/3669/3670
Inspiron 3668/3670/5676
XPS 8920/8930

13 Posts

September 11th, 2019 01:00

I have no issues running mine with secure boot on. I have tried every setting in bios on or off , an not one has ever effected my display.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 11th, 2019 05:00

NON Dell cards will REQUIRE Secure Boot OFF and Legacy Option Roms ON.

8CCF1 OEM Dell Geforce GT 1030 2GB does not need secure boot off.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156/

When an after-market graphics card is installed into an OEM motherboard with UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot enabled, the system may not boot. UEFI is a new system BIOS feature that is provided on most new motherboards. A UEFI system BIOS is required in order for the Windows Secure Boot feature to work. Secure boot is enabled by default on certified Windows PCs.

In order to get the PC to boot with a graphics card that does not contain UEFI OEM Bios Certificate, the end-user must first disable the secure boot feature in the system's SBIOS before installing the graphics card.

UEFI CLASS 2UEFI CLASS 2

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 11th, 2019 09:00

Class 3 has NO CSM.

This means hardware and drivers WILL NOT LOAD if they do not have microsoft certificate in bios.

ACPI is used during Operation and UEFI is used mostly at boot.

CSM is Compatibility Support Module. Aka WINDOWS 7

Class 3 also comes about because newer CPU's etc are 64 bit only, Windows 10 only.  This is enforced by INTEL, AMD, Microsoft, etc.

This is also why older versions of Linux do not work or boot.

No DOS, Linux, windows 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 only 10 and only 64 bit.

CLASS 2.31  and Class 3  PCs ship with Microsoft’s certificate stored in UEFI. UEFI will check the boot loader before launching it and ensure it’s signed by Microsoft.  This is for both Drivers and Hardware.  No Certificate and No CSM means it will not load.  In the case of video card this means black screen and the system halts.

UEFI models

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

September 11th, 2019 09:00

if you called MSI they'd tell you it runs on any PC, (if fits not hit) 1030,  on old PC (yours is not)

it is a full blown UEFI card, and will work on any PC old or new, they told you. that.(ive asked the top 4 makers myself)

so only what dell can do matters, and dells can be some pain,  ok? (and worse soon they promise, class3.)

the dell level of UEFI matters first, IDK ,  class 1, 2 or 3. all mine are CLASS 2.7. so that is my point of view.

Bios Version 2.13.0, 2.13.0?????????????

in your free manual read all words with legacy, there are many , read them first.

not sure at all why you need 1030, can you name one good use for it ? is this a gaming PC dream (goal) what?

my guess is not.

the other fly in the ointment is dells sneaky BIOS upgrades,  some upgrade the UEFI class. 

why not DO as all others do,  buy it try it and return it, if it wont fly. (standard OEM answers all card makers)

that is  what MSI told you had you asked them, and do so. (not one card makers of 10 and 100 models each,

can tell you what OEM PCs it will run on with no issues.  (huge task x all PC x all Bios versions, wow)

I  can in fact tell you that MSI GPU sure does run on all MSI motherboards.

but MSI is not Dell. ,SO DELL WILL TELL YOU BUY ONLY DELL CARDS. (I won't)

3470 is 2018 or 19. made. so is NOT OLD.

This PC supports UEFI,  so turn it off,  Dell will later 2020 make that impossible I guess class3 locked forever.

but yours is not locked so turn it off,

install windows to w10 -64bit non UEFI mode, and the hDD will be formatted, to GPT, non secure boot.

be sure to boot install media in non UEFI mode, so it knows your intent..

no TPM , no safe boot enabled boot drives are disabled. no secure boot  off, and rom extensions turned on.

why not try it  first then ask for help,  nobody knows what will happen. unless you find

1 person here with same PC ,same year, same BIOS version !!! and the same card. ( i do hope you do !!!!)

good luck to you and try not to fear turning off UEFI, no true gamer runs it, they upgrade every 6 months so avoid UEFI like the plague.

Id get the 1050 card,  at least. just 40 watts more, 75w max and far better. I thing the PSU will not overload

but if you pull hDD and use SSD you can gain lots of watt  there, even 24watts of start up current just that.

no PSU stated so IDK.

the only question is , do you fear fear lack of secure boot. (UEFI true)

your card does have a  valid and secure signature , there are no issues there.. only what you must do , with the pain if secure boot..... servicing PCs with that can also be max pain,  but dells solution to that is ePSA.

No Events found!