Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

3 Posts

December 12th, 2018 09:00

Inspiron 3670, two, Repeat Setup

Hello, I recently ordered 2 identical Inspiron 3670s. I have to install our software and setup our preferences for both. These are almost identical for the 2 users. Is there a way to set one up completely and then copy that setup (software programs and settings) to the other? I've always thought there must be but I usually had trouble with Windows (something to with activation, I think) in the past. Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

December 12th, 2018 09:00

Hi CynthiaG31,

Thanks for posting.

After you've set up and registered each one individually, you can install the other 3rd party software any way you wish.  The time involved in cloning the laptops more than likely would be about the same.  

Here is information from Windows Central you may find helpful.

December 12th, 2018 10:00

Thank you for your reply. However, setting each program to the users desired setup requires at least an hour per program (outlook alone takes forever), so I think it's unlikely that cloning would take the same amount of time as doing each PC individually. In the past (@ least 7 years ago) I tried a Drive Image type backup image, but ran into Windows not having the correct activation number or some such - I know I called MS and they were no help and I had to start over and manually setup the machine anyway. I have Acronis True Image, which claims I can restore the backup onto new/different hardware, but I don't know if Windows complains after this or not. I was hoping that as time has passed this became easier.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

December 12th, 2018 10:00

Hi CynthiaG31,

Unfortunately, since I'm not familiar with either of those programs and Dell systems have not been tested with them, we can not endorse the use of them.

Good Luck and let us know the outcome.

December 12th, 2018 11:00

In your earlier response you referred to cloning.  If it wasn't with one of those programs I mentioned - how is it done?

Thank you again.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

December 12th, 2018 11:00

I've only set up my machines one at a time and haven't cloned them.  The article may have more information than I have available to me.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 13th, 2018 19:00

@CynthiaG31 wrote:
1. Is there a way to set one up completely and then copy that setup (software programs and settings) to the other?

2.  but I usually had trouble with Windows (something to with activation, I think) in the past. 

1. Consumer-class Imaging/Cloning software is a great tool, but only meant to backup an exact machine (and it's licenses, etc.). It's not really meant to be restored to a different machine. That is why you had problems.

2. That is to be expected. I agree with @robert p ... setup each machine individually ... do it right.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 14th, 2018 06:00

Neither Microsoft nor Dell supports Cloning.  Starting with Windows 2000 product Activation was introduced specifically to stop this and piracy.

You cannot buy one copy of software and install on many machines via cloning.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314828/the-microsoft-policy-for-disk-duplication-of-windows-installations

No Events found!