Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

June 13th, 2019 23:00

Inspiron 3847, cannot connect to internet via ethernet

My Inspiron 3847 desktop cannot connect to the internet via the ethernet port. WiFi is still working correctly, luckily.

I've tried using the ethernet cord on other devices with success. I have also tried using a different ethernet cord for this particular desktop, but it was still only able to use WiFi.

I've pinged the ethernet port through command prompt (ping 127.0.0.1) and received a response. I assume this means this isn't a hardware problem.

Drivers have been updated. I also tried installing the Intel Chipset Device Driver and the Realtek RTL8111G/RTL8151GD-CG/8111F Ethernet Controller Driver. Both of these were for the 64-bit version of Windows 10. I restarted my computer after both downloads.

Within my Device Manager, here's everything found in the "Network adapters" section ("show hidden devices" is checked under "View"):

— Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHZ)
— Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter
— Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
— Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
— WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
— WAN Miniport (IP)
— WAN Miniport (IPv6)
— WAN Miniport (L2TP)
— WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
— WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
— WAN Miniport (PPTP)
— WAN Miniport (SSTP)

Nothing about an ethernet is mentioned in there.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 14th, 2019 12:00

• Has the onboard NIC (Ethernet) ever worked with this PC?
  • Is this PC under warranty?
  • Do the 2 LEDs next to the Ethernet port light up when connected to the router?

Try this:
Open BIOS setup by rebooting and immediately pressing F2. Look for the onboard NIC entry and make sure it's Enabled. Don't change anything else in BIOS setup, but be sure to save the change if you had to enable the onboard NIC. 

If the NIC is already enabled in BIOS, try disabling it, save the change and exit setup. Then power off, wait a few and then power on, and go back into BIOS setup and enable the NIC again, save the change and reboot...

If that doesn't help, try clearing BIOS:

1. Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all current BIOS settings
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Reinstall the battery (Time for a fresh CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery?)
  8. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard
  9. Reboot

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 15th, 2019 10:00

And one more thingy...Are there any "Unknown" devices listed in Device Manager or any devices marked with a yellow ! or a red X?

June 15th, 2019 12:00

Just as a quick update so far...

Has the onboard NIC (Ethernet) ever worked with this PC?
A: To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. It's possible it was always using WiFi while connected to an ethernet. Or maybe it just stopped one day.

Is this PC under warranty?
A: Not anymore, no.

Do the 2 LEDs next to the Ethernet port light up when connected to the router?
A: Light corresponding to the port on the router does not light up when connected to the desktop, but does with other devices. Interestingly enough, the orange light on the ethernet port on the desktop always has an orange light on even when it's not plugged in.

Are there any "Unknown" devices listed in Device Manager or any devices marked with a yellow ! or a red X?
A: No.

Ended up following the steps of the reboot process. Actually had to reboot in a weird way as Windows 10 apparently reboots too fast run the BIOS setup via F2, but managed to do it. Didn't see anything to enable regarding the "onboard NIC."

Did try disabling then re-enabling something regarding the LAN or WAN. Nothing appeared to have changed. I did see "onboard NIC" mentioned as the "second boot" or "fifth boot" though.

Haven't tried opening up Desktop yet. Sounds like a last resort.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 15th, 2019 20:00

What version of Windows is running?

Unfortunately the online Service Manual for this model doesn't list BIOS screens, so I can't tell you exactly where to look for the NIC settings, and it might be labeled NIC or possibly LAN.

And we don't know if it ever worked with Ethernet, so that's another problem.

At this point the best I can say is try to reset BIOS by pulling the battery as in my post above. And then reboot and install both Intel chipsets for your version of Windows which were updated earlier this year - be sure to select the correct version of Windows before downloading any drivers. Reboot after installing them

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-3847-desktop/drivers .

Then install the RealTek ethernet controller driver for your version of Windows and reboot again.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

June 16th, 2019 07:00

as you can see the DM shows no such Ethernet chip present.

in BIOS see if the ETHERNET chip is DISABLED> ?

some dells even one model dell has like 3 different chips for ethernet,  so we first learn what is there,  no this case... good.

by looking inside or using hwInfo32.exe  (free program, that scans all chips, If not found see red words above)

loading say 2 or more drivers, guessing will in fact cause them all to fail.  avoid that ok?

and stay off the Realtek web site , oK.  use only your dell drivers, ok>? (if captain obvious this sorry , ok)

now w10-64b Inspiron 3847  drivers  are on your support page. see em. there, and only 1.

im looking now and see only one driver, there.

Realtek RTL8111G/RTL8151GD-CG/8111F Ethernet Controller Driver

did the DM show UNKNOWNS in the list?/???????

in the DM click view hidden devices first. see if it shows up. and then if yes, delete it and then reboot and install the driver from DELL< above and then see if the chip show up in DM now, If yes test it, now.

if not showing up now the chip may be damaged by lightening,

I also (as what we call a sanity check) we boot the Ubuntu, v16+up media (usbstick) an click tryme (means LIVE DEMO mode) and we see if Linux finds the chip first.  lspci command does just that.

if yes Linux likes the chip even works, then your windows is corrupted. (takes me 5min to  do that, disk or stick in hand all techs know how to do this, or look bad)

looks to me you did all things correctly,  but DM missing the chip is NEVER GOOD. fix that first for sure.

LSPCI in Linux is love thing,  and can be had for W10 is savvy

most do HWinfo32.exe free,  portable is best.  ever run that, my guess it will find the chip and tell you 2 things

VENDOR= x

DEV =z

this confirms the chip is there, and is TALKING (PCI scanned) and tells you that it is in fact a

RTL8111G or what,   exactly is there.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

run portable ,it is 100% safe and passes all tests at virustotal.com  zillion of tech world wide use this , or go slowly mad learning just exactly what is  INSIDE ANY PC , made.

some PCs have 4 or more choices, here, or more 4 ethernet, 4 wifi chips used on one class of motherboard world wide, so why would I guess, what is there, I DO NOT , I SCAN IT First.  (omg its mobo for UK< omg)

No Events found!