Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 24th, 2018 06:00

Inspiron 5675, fails boot only with LG 4k HDTV connected.

New Inspiron 5675 Ryzen R7-1800X with AMD Radeon RX 580 video card, new LG 65" HDTV (4k) and older 55".  When the LG is plugged into the video card on any of the 4 ports, boot fails POST and I get no video to either display until I unplug the LG. Once the LG is unplugged (not just turned off) boot proceeds to completion. This problem does not occur when the LG is plugged into an Inspiron 660. Chatted with Tech Support and they refuse to elevate this for troubleshooting saying it's LG's problem. I begged to differ given that the LG works fine with another Dell product. About to visit Best Buy as I got both the LG and the Dell from them to explore options hoping to not have to return them resulting in them having an Open Box(es) to sell.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 24th, 2018 08:00

Your setting is very likely here (or one of the links).

It has to do with the HDMI-Negotiation and the enhanced color-settings on 4K-HDTVs.

As far as HDMI cables ... try just plain (heavy gauge) cables as short as possible ... no tricky Redmere or one-way ones.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Alienware-X51-R3-no-boot-when-connected-to-4k-TV-via-HDMI/td-p/5610664

33 Posts

April 24th, 2018 15:00

No, I didn't change any settings in the AMD software, just the HDR color settings on the LG.

The discussion in the linked thread talked about RGB vs YCbCr  format because of bug in his NVIDIA card. I noted that in my case the Vizio format was listed as YCbCr 4:4:4 while the LG was YCbCr 4:2:0 (I think....not 4:4:4 for sure).

Once I set the LG color to HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color (under the General Tab of the TV) the AMD software now registers the format as YCbCr 4:4:4 and all works well.

33 Posts

April 24th, 2018 06:00

Also, once boot completes while the LG is unplugged I can plug the LG back in and it is auto-recognized and usable.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 24th, 2018 08:00

The 2012 Inspiron 660 (Intel CPU, Intel B75 Panther Point chipset, Unknown video card? Unknown operating system?) and the 2017 Inspiron 5675 (AMD CPU, AMD Promontory X370 PROM4 chipset, AMD Radeon RX 580 video card, Windows 10) are vastly different. Not a good comparison. I need more details.
* What specific LG 65" HDTV model?
* What specific older 55" model?
* Explain in detail how each TV is connected to the 2012 Inspiron 660 using what model video card, video card ports, cabling, and ports on each TV. Then the same data for the TVs and the 2017 Inspiron 5675.
* For my notes, send me via Private Message the Inspiron 5675 service tag number

33 Posts

April 24th, 2018 09:00

Good deal, thank you! I'll check this thread. I did use three different HMDI cables all of different qualities to no avail. One of them is heavy gauge with built in noise filters but it's the longest of the three. 

33 Posts

April 24th, 2018 09:00

Hi, Chris.

Answers to your questions follow:

Working 660 setup:

Inspiron 660 Win 10 Home

LG 65” Model: 65UJ6300-UA – HMDI upper most side port (HDMI 1)

Vizio 55” Model: E552VLE – HDMI Side port

Aftermarket graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730

Vizio connected to the GT DVI Side port using a DVI to HDMI adapter

LG connected to the GT HMDI upper most side port via straight HDMI cable

5675 setup:

Win 10 Home

LG 65” Model: 65UJ6300-UA – HMDI upper most side port (HDMI 1)via straight HDMI cable

Vizio 55” Model: E552VLE – HDMI Side port via DP to HDMI adapter connected to HDMI cable

Troubleshooting the 5675:

I hooked up the PC to the two displays and powered up (first time).  Initially I got no video at either display, although the LG HDMI port sensed that it was connected to something (LG port display showed “connected”,  “no signal”) but not receiving a signal. I hot swapped the HDMI cables at the AMD 580x between the DP adapter and the straight HDMI port.  Both displays came up and I operated normally.

I thought this was just an indication of the graphics card wanting to rescan the displays before it was happy but I found the reason that I got video successfully after the hot swap was because it took me some time fumbling at the back of the PC to get the cables reseated and during that time POST finished, at which point it didn’t care where or how the LG was plugged in.

If POST occurs and sees the LG hooked to any of the 4 580x ports, it won’t proceed and no video is present at any port or display to see a status telling me why it’s not happy.  Pre-boot/POST is happy with any other configuration, including using a standard Dell 19” Monitor via DP to DVI adapter, but as soon as I plug the LG, POST won’t run.  I can’t say it “fails” because I don’t see any log file in this version of BIOS to check for a failure code. 

The Pre-Boot Self Assessment log has no failures listed and passes all "quick tests" but I don't think PSA tests any of the graphics card ports/displays?  Not sure.  I tried to psych it out by unplugging the LG to get into PSA and then turning the LG back on and running tests which all passed even when the LG was plugged in. But as soon as I rebooted at the completion of the PSAs I got the same results, no video anywhere and no boot.

I'll PM service tags from both 660 and 5675 next.  Thanks for your time!

33 Posts

April 24th, 2018 10:00

Tesla, you rock. I read that long post linked in the referenced thread and changed my TV settings to HDR High Color and...bam, she's working!

https://hardforum.com/threads/2015-samsung-4k-tv-as-a-monitor-set-up-guide.1869675/

Now, I get to play with the Samsung 960 EVO (with PCI riser) that JUST came in the mail.  Let's hope I don't have to come back here to get that completed.  :-)

Thank you very much!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 24th, 2018 11:00

@DougDarwrote:

Tesla, you rock. I read that long post linked in the referenced thread and changed my TV settings to HDR High Color and...bam, she's working!

https://hardforum.com/threads/2015-samsung-4k-tv-as-a-monitor-set-up-guide.1869675/

Glad to help.

Yeah, having a nice Home Theater is another hobby of mine. Long-ago it ran MediaPortal, then XBMC for a while, but last few years Kodi is where it's at for us. Steam Big-Picture mode is also fun on the Epson projector. The new Apple-TV is pretty sweet also.

33 Posts

April 24th, 2018 12:00

Yeah, my 120 inches of monitor and a half way decent PC to run Diablo III and Ghost Recon is quite the upgrade for me. I seriously did not want to have to return either the LG or the 5675. 

Thought about putting the LG on an HDMI switch just to separate it from the video card during boot so I didn't have to keep unplugging the HDMI...could see that would lead to connector failure pretty quickly not to mention what a pain it is to get to the back of any of this equipment to mess with plugs.

Image created of C. Powering down to install EVO next. Wish me luck.

Out!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 24th, 2018 13:00

Are you saying that the HDR High Color setting was in the TV menus? Or in the AMD Radeon settings? Did you make any changes in the AMD Radeon settings?

No Events found!