Go to Solution

Closed

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

October 3rd, 2021 02:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Inspiron 16 7610, Touchpad random taps and swipes

I have new Inspiron 16 7610 for a month and  it has touchpad problem randomly. Touchpad has random taps and swipes, inaccurate finger tracking. I will contact with Dell but wondering is there anyone has that problem or any simple solution for it?

May 22nd, 2022 11:00

I bought a Dell Inspiron 16 Plus in January and quickly began to experience trackpad issues where the cursor would jump around erratically at random points. Dell, to their credit, came to my place quickly and replaced the trackpad. It seemed to mostly work (didn't click 100% correct with the new trackpad but at least it wasn't jumping around). After a week or two I again began to experience similar problems to previously, but definitely less often, only a couple of times a week, lasting an hour or two each time. But in the last month or two its become a lot more frequent, and the only way I've managed to solve it is by buying a mouse and not using the trackpad. It's a shame, because other than that this laptop is brilliant. I use it for everything, the most intensive tasks are photoshop/lightroom, and there's no problem there. Other than the trackpad issue the laptop is perfect. 

• 

25.7K Posts

May 25th, 2022 11:00

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can follow @dellcares and start a private/direct message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

24 Posts

May 25th, 2022 11:00

Finally, after 6 months since I faced the touchpad issues for the first time my problem is solved and  gone for good. I got rid of my Inspiron and returned it to the dealer (2 failed service actions on the touchpad and it failed for the 3rd time). I'm writing this from a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro (almost the same price and specs). No more Dell! I will be monitoring this thread out of curiosity since I would really like to see how this evolves and I'm expecting some official statement from Dell at some point in time. I regret my initial purchase choice and it will take a looooong time before I even consider buying anything branded by 'Dell'.

5 Posts

May 28th, 2022 00:00

Hello, two months after the replacement of the faulty touchpad by Dell support in March 2022, and with regular use, the new one still works correctly. I will post on this forum if the situation changes.
It is possible that Dell and its suppliers have fixed the original issue in their latest touchpad versions, as the problem had been reported for a while. 
Overall this makes this PC a very good laptop, as it should have been from the beginning.

21 Posts

May 28th, 2022 01:00

hello, on my side now one month after repair and works fine, let see...

5 Posts

May 31st, 2022 19:00

It started happening on my brand new inspiron 16 plus after about two weeks from the delivery. Since then I received a replacement laptop. 3 weeks later my replacement started doing the same thing. I'm about to request 2nd replacement and I don't believe this will solve the issue. There is clearly an issue with the touchpad and Dell won't admit it. In fact they keep selling those laptops knowing about the issue. I'm not going to give up and I'll be sending mine back even if I have to do it 100 times. 

• 

25.7K Posts

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a private message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

5 Posts

That may fix the issue for a bit every once in a while but it's not a permanent fix. I've been using laptops and touch pads for 20 years and never had any similar issue with any other laptop. Clearly this product is defective and should not be sold like this.

18 Posts

June 7th, 2022 10:00

Finally the touchpad stopped working. I did send it to repair and waited 3 weeks. This was 2 month ago. 2 month without problems, exact these problems which now again start to appear.

18 Posts

June 8th, 2022 10:00

I do not know if I got the Version 2. Got the machine back some weeks ago. Now the problem returned.

June 11th, 2022 01:00

Sorry to hear about all your problems - I have the same thing, and it is driving me crazy. The cursor vibrates so you can't focus it; the touchpad sometimes fails to move the cursor; and the touchpad 'click' fails to enter. Dell are trying really hard - they have replaced my touchpad, but if anything the problem is worse, and now they are planning to replace the touchpad and the bracket, whatever that is. I can't believe a company as good as Dell can have such a common problem and have no idea how to fix it. I have of course tried adjusting the touchpad sensitivity. Rubbing the touchpad doesn't work. The last Dell guy even wanted to me to refresh/reset Windows, and I said no. If the second new touchpad doesn't work I'm going to tell Dell that the product is defective and they must take it back. I'll post any further news or progress. All the best.

18 Posts

June 11th, 2022 02:00

(I write this also to you DELL, that you have a good foundation to learn about customer experience and enhance your processes - The topic here in the community they label als "SOLVED!". Honestly? Do you want to communicate  cause and solution to your clients please? Could it be that this makes some clients feel insulted?)
I would like to give you a short experience review and why I definitively warn everyone to buy a Dell Insprion 16:
- Dell needed 2 month to deliver the device
- First issues appeared 1 months later (erratic touchpad). As I am working in IT I tried everything to solve the problem myself. I do not know how many hours I invested in this computer, but a lot. Then I invested approx 1 day with communicating and trying to fix the problem together with Dell. Meanwhile for me it is clear: This device has a design problem. When Dell wants to explain these symptoms with foreign software updates (like Windows or others)... I think this is dishonest and nonsense! And if it would be a driver issue, it would appear immediately after startup. It doesn't.
- Finally the touchpad stopped working completely. I use the computer to work also onsite with my clients. So this is a nogo and disruptiv to my business.
- The whole logistics and repair part took approx. a month till I had my device back. Not to mention that I had to move data from the Inspiron to my old Acer (Half the price, old but reliable ), vice versa.
- 2 weeks later the same issues appear again. A restart does not help. You have to shut down the computer. Additionally I had issues, that the laptop would not start at all. As you have no signaling LED at all (e.g. for "READ/WRITE" of the SSD) and the screen stays black, you do not know if there is any acitivity. Sometimes it IS booting, but does something in the BIOS for ~30sec, and you don't know. This "non communicating" behaviour is annoying. Btw. also the Fan is erratic. Sometimes it peaks (and gets loud) for 10 seconds, and then almost goes to sleep again, while the battery is drained in 3 hours even with energy saving mode. I do not want to know the performance of this battery in 2 years.
- Dell does not want to admit that the reason is a design issue and that this device should be part a recall program. I have no insights in their statistics, so maybe they are right. But they also do not share any information about probable reasons. For me it is clear, that we have a problem with electrostatical potentials in the hardware.
- I am still under warranty. Dell does not offer a replacement, not of the same model, not of another model (I would even pay for an upgrade), not of another refurbished model. All they want to do is take the thing back again, and try again and again and again (with no replacment in the meantime), with no care for the "clients costs". Thats what is behind SOLVED!. There is an option that you get a refurbished model, but thats only for "chosen ones" (I was not, and do not know the criteria to be in the club. Problably you needed to have played the game and sent it back 3 times for repair, with no success (like some users report here). Btw. the "admittance process" was hilarious.

- Conclusion: Not a reliable device, not a reliable partner. Dell-CARES does not care (enough) and does not take the responsiblity it should. I bought a new device. Not from Dell, obviousely.

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

June 12th, 2022 09:00

Good luck. I started with an Inspiron 15 almost 2 years ago. After a year, it wouldn't charge. Dell told me it was the battery but they wouldn't cover that since I was about a week too late for that. I purchased a battery out of pocket and low and behold, that didn't fix it. After more than a year, Costco took the whole thing back (you have to use Dell service the first year and I'm still stuck with the battery). I then made the mistake of getting the Dell Inspiron 16 as I've had great luck with Inspirons in the past. I now have the trackpad problem. I want to just wait until the Dell support runs out and then go back to Costco for a new, non-Dell laptop. Hard to believe that Dell can sell such awful hardware and on top of that provide such horrible support. And don't bother trying to escalate your case. I tried every avenue. . You would think a topic with 21 PAGES of customers with the same problem would somehow get some attention from somebody higher up at Dell, and this isn't the only thread on this topic. Nothing from Dell but the "hey, I see you are having a problem ..." robot. It's comically poor support.

4 Posts

June 12th, 2022 11:00

I also had the same touchpad issue. Driver updated, system reset. Had to change the touchpad. But now again after 3-4months touchpad issue is back. I am frustrated. Memory card reader slot also was not working so I contacted customer care, technician came and changed the reader and the usb port next to it. Now both don't work. What to do? Regretting this purchase.

June 13th, 2022 07:00

Count me as another success story using the grounding wire trick. 

I didn’t solder though. I scratched off the coating on the copper pad next to the tab, then I rolled up a small piece of aluminum foil and shoved it under the tab to hold it down against the copper. 

then I stuck one end of a wire into the foil and wrapped the other end around the screw. So far so good. The touchpad has never been so smooth. This is on a new 3510 and it’s now as good as my old 7series Inspiron. 

for some reason plugging the charger in didn’t kick it out of service mode, I didn’t even get a charging light. 

so I took the back off again, unplugged the battery, waited a minute and plugged it back in. That fixed it. 

so my advice to others is, plug the charger in and make sure the light comes on before you put the back cover back on. 

No Events found!