Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

2 Posts

November 14th, 2018 23:00

BIOS update disabled keyboard Illumination(Backlight)

There is no Keyboard Illumination option while my device has a illuminated keyboard. Which worked fine few weeks ago.There is no Keyboard Illumination option while my device has a illuminated keyboard. Which worked fine few weeks ago.And this says if the option is missing the it lacks backlit support but this issue started only after the BIOS update via the support assist app.And this says if the option is missing the it lacks backlit support but this issue started only after the BIOS update via the support assist app.The device backlit has stopped working since a BIOS update and upon checking https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln153665/how-to-turn-off-or-on-and-troubleshoot-the-backlit-keyboard-on-your-dell-notebook-computer?lang=en#Backlit_Keyboard_settings_Ins
I found out that in BIOS we can check whether it is enabled or not but to my surprise the backlit settings are missing from BIOS. 
And on your webpage it means that device lacks any backlit!
While I know it has backlit and I've even used it a few weeks ago, and only after BIOS update it stopped turning ON when I hit the F10 key( and I've tried locking Fn and unlocking it).

A simple question will this issue be resolved by the next BIOS update or should I just struggle with a Keyboard that supports backlight and a software that messed it up?

Provide me solution please! We pay extra for the backlit support.

It is the Dell Inspiron 5567 

Memory: 8 GB

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz[Cores 2] [Logical/Core 2]

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home

with this configuration with backlight keyboard.

And this is the BIOS update I received last month : Dell Inspiron 5567/5767 KBL System BIOS - 1.2.6

via the Dell Support Assist application and the issue is being encountered since then.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

November 15th, 2018 07:00

Could you please post the model number of your system?

2 Posts

November 15th, 2018 21:00

It is the Dell Inspiron 5567 

Memory: 8 GB

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz[Cores 2] [Logical/Core 2]

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home

with this configuration with backlight keyboard.

And this is the BIOS update I received last month : Dell Inspiron 5567/5767 KBL System BIOS - 1.2.6

via the Dell Support Assist application and the issue is being encountered since then.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 20th, 2018 08:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused, I will be glad to assist you with this.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Click here to find the service tag -  https://dell.to/2xXUCUW

1 Message

November 24th, 2018 09:00

I have the same EXACT problem you have on a Dell Inspiron 13-7378 after upgrading the BIOS to 1.26.0

The F10 key works and adjusts the backlight slider in the Windows Mobility Center but the backlight never comes on.  It does not come on at startup either.  They Caps Lock light does come on.  I checked the backlight cable seating on the keyboard daughter board under the battery and it is fine.  Did you find a fix to this?  Can you post it?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 26th, 2018 06:00

Thank you for your message. Did the issue start after the BIOS update?

Please try updating the Dell Quickset Application from this link https://dell.to/2Scyw9N & check the status.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Click here to find the service tag -  https://dell.to/2xXUCUW

1 Message

May 8th, 2019 18:00

Same here with Inspiron 5559 since bios 1.5.2. Service Tag:  .

Does anyone have solution with this kind of problem ?

(I've tried to PM to Dell-SreejithR  last week but no answer.)

September 3rd, 2019 19:00

Same here with G5 5590. No keyboard option at bios and I have a rgb keyboard.

February 2nd, 2020 07:00

Same issue. Dell G5 5590 with RGB keyboard. Can´t find the option for backlight on BIOS:

20200202_121212.jpg

*This option was present with the old BIOS version.

1 Message

July 27th, 2020 21:00

Same here. Dell G7 7588 -- sent the laptop in for repairs and it came back with new BIOS and no longer working keyboard backlight. I checked the cable and everything seems fine but the setting is just GONE from BIOS and windows mobility center.

August 16th, 2020 17:00

I have the same problem as describe here and by the original poster.

Dell support can you please share with us the solution or fix to this problem.

Backlit missing from windows mobility center and missing within the Bios setting following an update.

1 Message

October 10th, 2020 03:00

Same exact problem is occurring with my Inspiron 17-7779 2-in-1 laptop.  Keyboard illumination worked perfect, never had any problems.  Update occurred, and now it does not function.  I have downloaded the latest drivers, BIOS, etc.  In BIOS system configuration there is no mention of "keyboard illumination" but it worked a few weeks ago, and I have verified in my order set up docs that my computer came with backlit keyboard (so I know I am not crazy).  This issue has worked my nerves and its a shame that Dell has not made this a priority for its customers given that it happened, or appears to have happened, to many of us with an update suggested by Dell.  Im guessing they are going to say its because our "warrantys have expired" or some .  Anyone discovered a fix to to this?  If so, please share.  Thanks

1 Message

December 8th, 2020 11:00

Inspiron 7567 same thing

1 Message

January 2nd, 2021 08:00

Please let me know if you have found out the solution of that because I am facing the same issue please help me out 

1 Message

April 30th, 2021 08:00

Never had backlight or option, but should for G3. Spoke to dell and they can't do anything as Iv moved country for college so can't use the warranty and not going to get home due to Covid. Hope someone finds a solution. 

2 Posts

May 28th, 2021 06:00

I faced similar issue in my Dell Inspiron 5567. The backlit stopped working one day randomly and the settings in BIOS to control keyboard illumination had disappeared. Turns out the issue was that the keyboard illumination wire had a loose contact where it connects to motherboard.

Re-seating the cable fixed my issue. Its a small black cable strip that's accessible by just removing the back plastic body. It should be placed about halfway around battery (towards the side facing the motherboard). Motherboard do have a label under the port saying "KB Backlight", if you need to be sure.

No Events found!